09 Escape 6F35 Shift Flare Problem

wptski

We have an 09 Escape Limited V6 4WD. The motor and trans are amazing. 3,400mi. The cool thing, no ONE of the cool things about it is the SOUND the V6 makes under full throttle. Also, under full throttle there is a slight pause between shifts, kind of like your are letting off the gas to shift manually. Maybe that is what you are experiencing??

So far, it is a FLAWLESS vehicle. The build quality is like the car was hand made. Good Job QC!

The problem was verified by a Ford Field Service Engineer, so there is a problem.

Anyone getting a short, regular drive train noise when accelerating quickly from a stop.? Like halfway in first gear... 4cyl 4x4. Its not the engine... probably trans or 4x4 system? Its not a grind but I can always hear somethign clear. it's not too loud and it's been doing that from day one. Hard to describe the sound, it's quite muffled. And the slower I start, the less I hear it.

Maybe i'll get it checked on my first service.

Edited by Philgag

Anyone getting a short, regular drive train noise when accelerating quickly from a stop.? Like halfway in first gear... 4cyl 4x4. Its not the engine... probably trans or 4x4 system? Its not a grind but I can always hear somethign clear. it's not too loud and it's been doing that from day one. Hard to describe the sound, it's quite muffled. And the slower I start, the less I hear it.

Maybe i'll get it checked on my first service.

A article I read with a head of Ford's drivetrain systems stated under hard trottle starts the "on demand" 4WD system transfer 100% power to the rear wheels. Maybe that's what your feeling? I really haven't nailed mine all the way to the floor yet but under somewhat heavy throttle from a roll, nothing.

A article I read with a head of Ford's drivetrain systems stated under hard trottle starts the "on demand" 4WD system transfer 100% power to the rear wheels. Maybe that's what your feeling? I really haven't nailed mine all the way to the floor yet but under somewhat heavy throttle from a roll, nothing.

Not flooring mine either, from a normal start I still get the noise. I'll have it checked :) BTW is yours 4x4?

Edited by Philgag

Yes, 4WD.

Finally the noise I am hearing is 100% traction control related, I think its the drive shaft engaging...very slippy here all roads are on snow and such. So no problems at all :)

On a other note, my parents bought an 09 too, but v6 4wd. So far they have 0 issues on the tranny...no flare whatsoever. they are very , very happy with the truck! However , On 2 seperate occasion in about a month, they went to start the car and It would not crank at all!... both times after re-trying a bit the car started like nothing ever happened. Both times it happened with the same key, but that key still work fine most of the time. They cant seem to find a pattern to the "problem"..maybe its the key or maybe something else is faulty from the factory... The dealer was very eager to have a look at it at least...

anyway... enjoy your trucks everyone!.. I sure do enjoy mine after snowstorm we have regulary here in quebec...snow + 4wd never gets old.

Finally the noise I am hearing is 100% traction control related, I think its the drive shaft engaging...very slippy here all roads are on snow and such. So no problems at all :)

Traction control or AdvanceTrac doesn't control the drive shaft engaging, it applies the brakes to the wheel that's lost traction and you'd also see the icon light up on your dash. Your 4WD on demand, controls your rear drive shaft engaging or not.

I've tried to nail mine on snow covered roads and have yet to catch the dash icon show, no noise either.

Traction control or AdvanceTrac doesn't control the drive shaft engaging, it applies the brakes to the wheel that's lost traction and you'd also see the icon light up on your dash. Your 4WD on demand, controls your rear drive shaft engaging or not.

I've tried to nail mine on snow covered roads and have yet to catch the dash icon show, no noise either.

Thanks for the info. The noise I'm hearing sometimes is really minimal, and probably related someway to the 4wd system, thats what I meant. No matter what, I'll probably have it cheked up on my first oil change. I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to cars that it's probably nothing...but I tend to listen to every little sound and usualy worry about nothing... hate being like that lol.

As for the dash icon, mine showed both when accelerating on a iced parking lot (limited slip) or when taking a somewhat sharp turn in snow (stability control) ..the system is VERY effective. A click on the dash button will allow wheel spin, but I have not figured how to completely disable stability control.

Thanks for the info. The noise I'm hearing sometimes is really minimal, and probably related someway to the 4wd system, thats what I meant. No matter what, I'll probably have it cheked up on my first oil change. I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to cars that it's probably nothing...but I tend to listen to every little sound and usualy worry about nothing... hate being like that lol.

As for the dash icon, mine showed both when accelerating on a iced parking lot (limited slip) or when taking a somewhat sharp turn in snow (stability control) ..the system is VERY effective. A click on the dash button will allow wheel spin, but I have not figured how to completely disable stability control.

Both??? Is there a icon for 4WD engaging too? If so, I don't remember reading that in the manual unless I missed it!

Both??? Is there a icon for 4WD engaging too? If so, I don't remember reading that in the manual unless I missed it!

I meant both for "slippage " and "stability"

there is only one yellow light in the left part of the cluster. No lights when 4wd engages.

I meant both for "slippage " and "stability"

there is only one yellow light in the left part of the cluster. No lights when 4wd engages.

Finally lit-up the AdvanceTrac icon today, several times! Glad to see that it's working. Too bad they don't have a 4WD icon too.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying your trucks. I bought an '08 Limited V-6 4WD and wish I would've waited. The operation of this truck is a bit more clunky than my last one which was a '01 XLT V-6 4WD. That truck was faster too. Magazine comparisons confirm the '08 Escape V-6 being about a second slower to 60mph than the previous model. Doesn't make me too happy honestly. Don't get me wrong, the truck is very nice. The interior is way nicer than the '01 but the drivetrain performance was better on the '01. I'm sure the '09 is better too.

• 1 month later...
Finally lit-up the AdvanceTrac icon today, several times! Glad to see that it's working. Too bad they don't have a 4WD icon too.

Well there is a 4x4 light there on the gauge cluster, top one left side, at least with my v6 4wd, but of course it does nothing. Besides no mode switch or anything, there is no indication on these vehicles as well.

I have about 500mi on mine right now. No issues with the transmission, although 1st and 2nd (or maybe it was 2nd and 3rd) wind out pretty far with normal no lead footed driving. Engine will get up to 3500-4k rpm in those gears which is a bit different compared to my F150 that never gets above ~2500rpm with it's 4spd auto during normal driving.

I also have 'the noise' coming from the back when accelerating from a stop....sort of a short hoot kinda sound. I have seen so many posts about it on the internet that I think it is normal operation, even though I have yet to see any firm explanation as to what exactly it is. I would guess it is something doing it's thing in the awd.

Whoever above mentioned torque being transfered to the rear under hard acceleration is correct also I think. I got on it once so far to jump into some traffic. For one, it has a surprising amount of power when you feed it some gas, enough to put you back into the seat. There was also no torque steer while doing so which definently would not be the case if most if not all was kept up front vs being transfered to the back.

Well there is a 4x4 light there on the gauge cluster, top one left side, at least with my v6 4wd, but of course it does nothing. Besides no mode switch or anything, there is no indication on these vehicles as well.

I have about 500mi on mine right now. No issues with the transmission, although 1st and 2nd (or maybe it was 2nd and 3rd) wind out pretty far with normal no lead footed driving. Engine will get up to 3500-4k rpm in those gears which is a bit different compared to my F150 that never gets above ~2500rpm with it's 4spd auto during normal driving.

I also have 'the noise' coming from the back when accelerating from a stop....sort of a short hoot kinda sound. I have seen so many posts about it on the internet that I think it is normal operation, even though I have yet to see any firm explanation as to what exactly it is. I would guess it is something doing it's thing in the awd.

Whoever above mentioned torque being transfered to the rear under hard acceleration is correct also I think. I got on it once so far to jump into some traffic. For one, it has a surprising amount of power when you feed it some gas, enough to put you back into the seat. There was also no torque steer while doing so which definently would not be the case if most if not all was kept up front vs being transfered to the back.

I believe that was me! Yes, that leaves the front wheels to steer alone, a good idea under full throttle

Maybe this is the noise I'm also having, a small, short noise when accelerating from a stop at about 5 mph? seem to come from under the car...Does it most of the time, no matter if the road is snow or dry tarmac... but I seem to hear it more easely if the road is very slippery...but could not find anything similar on the net

Edited by Philgag

• 3 weeks later...
Is this really an issue for many ??? Nearly all the posts I have read, people are tickled with the new transmission......What does the recall/TSB say is the problem and solution ????

I checked yesterday and again today, no recall on my VIN! If you have a account setup at the Ford Owner's website, check for any recalls on your VIN.

I checked yesterday and again today, no recall on my VIN! If you have a account setup at the Ford Owner's website, check for any recalls on your VIN.

My sisters check engine light came on ( with the wrench ) , took it in to Taylor Ford , Taylor Michigan, Service rep told her that tranny was being recalled, go and drive it until the new trans came in, this was Mar 02,09. Hope this helps ......

My sisters check engine light came on ( with the wrench ) , took it in to Taylor Ford , Taylor Michigan, Service rep told her that tranny was being recalled, go and drive it until the new trans came in, this was Mar 02,09. Hope this helps ......

I passed your comment on to the person that had the problem in the other forum and their VIN shows no recall either, unless it's only a certain build date. When did your sister purchase her '09 Escape? Got mine in Nov last year.

Whatever the recall is, it wouldn't be a mass recall between certain dates. The way the line and technology is set up, the recall would be certain transmissions with certain parts, all trans are scanned as they are being built and the known part would be known in which trans it is in. Then we would know what car it was placed in and if that trans had a certain problem, the owner would be contacted to bring the car in. This kinda process would eliminate mass recalls and now would be able to pin point which cars to bring in with the defected part.

I hope this helps some of ya out.

Edited by simplesituations

Whatever the recall is, it wouldn't be a mass recall between certain dates. The way the line and technology is set up, the recall would be certain transmissions with certain parts, all trans are scanned as they are being built and the known part would be known in which trans it is in. Then we would know what car it was placed in and if that trans had a certain problem, the owner would be contacted to bring the car in. This kinda process would eliminate mass recalls and now would be able to pin point which cars to bring in with the defected part.

I hope this helps some of ya out.

The owner that had this orignal problem had the 6F35 replaced, still had the same problem plus blowing fluid out the fill tube even after the level was adjusted several times. Both problems were fixed when the 6F35 was replaced a second time. They were told that some hole was enlarged for the oil blow out and a different solenoid(s) were used which corrected the shift flare problem.

Is it common practice to mixed brands of components where they'd need to keep a build list because that's what your saying?

The owner of the problem 6F35 had no recall of their VIN either.

Edited by wptski