2.3 L Oil Consumption in Ford Fusion

hipo65

Experiencing what I think is higher than usual oil consumtion on my new 2009 2.3 L Ford Fusion. Adding a quart of oil every 3K miles. Is this considered normal for this engine? Using the recommended 5W20 Motorcraft oil.

Hi hipo65. :D Have you reported this to your Dealers Service Department yet. If you haven't, you should make an appointment and do so.

While a quart every 3,000 miles will most likely be considered "within tolerance" (by the Dealer and Ford, not me), you should still have it noted in your Service Record. Also, by reporting it, they may be able to find any causal problems.

These are some of the things to look for in the case of oil loss: Do you have any obvious leaks in the engine compartment? Oil residue anywhere on the engine? Any drips or leaks on the ground after being parked overnight? Or does it seem to be burning the oil? Any oily residue inside the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car?

To betaiota: I am assuming that hipo65 means that when he checks his oil level with the dipstick between oil changes, he is noticing a loss of oil (about a quart) over a 3,000 mile driving period. I don't believe he means that he is measuring how much oil drains from the engine when an oil change is done. Correct me if I am mistaken, hipo65.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Experiencing what I think is higher than usual oil consumtion on my new 2009 2.3 L Ford Fusion. Adding a quart of oil every 3K miles. Is this considered normal for this engine? Using the recommended 5W20 Motorcraft oil.

It is not considered normal to add a quart every 3,000 miles. My 2.3L engine looked low of oil on the stick, but at the oil change I found that was the level on the stick when I added 4.5 quarts with a new filter. If by chance you added an extra quart to the 4.5 quarts, you may be continuing to over fill. If you are changing your oil every 3,000 miles and are noticing you are in fact burning or leaking oil, there is a problem that is only going to get worst.

I had a '99 Navigator that started using oil and I did an oil change and after about 2,000 miles I noticed it was low again. I only had about 11,000 miles total when I took it to the dealer with it low on oil. Glad I didn't add any oil because I think they tested the oil and found problems. Lincoln replaced the long block under warranty and shipped the old block back to Ford for study. At around 60,000 miles that engine started using oil. This was the 5.4L engine.

If I remember right, it's more like 1 quart per 1000 miles is considered normal/acceptable. 3000 miles is well within reason. It's been several years but I had to research that for a customer. It was somewhere in the Ford manuals. Had to photocopy it for the customer before they believed us.

If I remember right, it's more like 1 quart per 1000 miles is considered normal/acceptable. 3000 miles is well within reason. It's been several years but I had to research that for a customer. It was somewhere in the Ford manuals. Had to photocopy it for the customer before they believed us.

It's more like "within spec" rather than within reason or normal. I don't remember other Ford's using that much oil. A RX-8 rotary yes, but not the 2.3L Ford/Mazda engine.

Today's 02 sensors will flag a code and warning burning that much oil and that's why I stated there may be a problem with reading the dip stick. The emissions monitoring requirements are very sensitive and can detect even a bad gas cap or to much ethanol.

Today's 02 sensors will flag a code and warning burning that much oil and that's why I stated there may be a problem with reading the dip stick. The emissions monitoring requirements are very sensitive and can detect even a bad gas cap or to much ethanol.

I don't know about that. My 300 uses about a quart of oil every thousand miles, and it doesn't throw and codes.

Edited by suv_guy_19

I don't know about that. My 300 uses about a quart of oil every thousand miles, and it doesn't throw and codes.

If your talking about a Ford 300 that was built in 1963, it had no sensors. If your talking about today's 300 Hemi, your wrong, it uses 4 quarts in 1,000 miles and that's normal. You better take it back to your dealer and call a Ford dealer for a real vehicle.

Hi hipo65. :D Have you reported this to your Dealers Service Department yet. If you haven't, you should make an appointment and do so.

While a quart every 3,000 miles will most likely be considered "within tolerance" (by the Dealer and Ford, not me), you should still have it noted in your Service Record. Also, by reporting it, they may be able to find any causal problems.

These are some of the things to look for in the case of oil loss: Do you have any obvious leaks in the engine compartment? Oil residue anywhere on the engine? Any drips or leaks on the ground after being parked overnight? Or does it seem to be burning the oil? Any oily residue inside the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car?

To betaiota: I am assuming that hipo65 means that when he checks his oil level with the dipstick between oil changes, he is noticing a loss of oil (about a quart) over a 3,000 mile driving period. I don't believe he means that he is measuring how much oil drains from the engine when an oil change is done. Correct me if I am mistaken, hipo65.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I hope you are right, though it would be the most accurate way to measure! I find it's hard as hell to read a dipstick.

• 4 weeks later...

You should definitely take it back to the dealership and have them check it out. Definitely keep checking the oil level regularly, too (every fill-up). How many miles do you have on the car now?

I have a 2006 Mazda3 with the same 2.3L I-4. I bought it new in 12/05 and quickly noticed that it consumed at least one quart of oil every 3K miles. At around 16k, I took it to the dealership and they assured me it was normal for my particular car. I continued to check it often and kept a log of the reading each time. At 49,200 miles, 800 miles before the warranty expired, I started the car one morning and heard a knocking sound somewhere behind the firewall! Long story short, they had to order a new engine and replace it under warranty! They made me produce oil change receipts and I did so....as well as the receipt from almost two years earlier when they said there was nothing wrong with it!

Better safe than sorry...hopefully it's nothing nearly as serious as mine.

My 2007 Mazda3 uses almost no oil over a 5,000 mile or 4 month period. Something is wrong with your engine.

Park the car on a level surface before checking the dipstick.

Follow the directions in the owners manual on how to check the oil.

Check for oil leaks. Place a piece of cardboard under the car where you park it at night.

Edited by thegeneral

• 3 weeks later...
If your talking about a Ford 300 that was built in 1963, it had no sensors. If your talking about today's 300 Hemi, your wrong, it uses 4 quarts in 1,000 miles and that's normal. You better take it back to your dealer and call a Ford dealer for a real vehicle.

I believe suv_guy drives a Chrysler 300 V6.

In regards to the topic at hand, my 2007 Fusion I4 uses virtually no oil. I've never had to add any between changes.

Edited by TomServo92