Ford Transit-based RV

joihan777

If the Ford Transit will be coming to America soon, I hope Ford will start offering the chassis to RV manufacturers. The current class "C" motorhomes (commonly seen with a bunk space over a van cab) are rather thirsty. The class "B" van campers are nice but they are expensive and they're thirsty too.

A company in New Zealand named KEA builds small, smart little RVs from the Transit. The KEA Ford Transit Product Line has several configurations.

I hope we get some of these smart little Ford based RV's here in America! Anyone think this would be good?

b4.jpgb3.jpgb5.jpg

If the Ford Transit will be coming to America soon, I hope Ford will start offering the chassis to RV manufacturers. The current class "C" motorhomes (commonly seen with a bunk space over a van cab) are rather thirsty. The class "B" van campers are nice but they are expensive and they're thirsty too.

A company in New Zealand named KEA builds small, smart little RVs from the Transit. The KEA Ford Transit Product Line has several configurations.

I hope we get some of these smart little Ford based RV's here in America! Anyone think this would be good?

b4.jpgb3.jpgb5.jpg

I would say that RV Dealers need a vehicle like Transit badly. I would not want to be an RV Dealer now with lot full of RV's getting less than 10mpg. A Transit based RV should get over 20mpg highway. You could even do a Transit Connect based RV rather easily too. I'm sure many applications will be made out of them,

I would say that RV Dealers need a vehicle like Transit badly. I would not want to be an RV Dealer now with lot full of RV's getting less than 10mpg. A Transit based RV should get over 20mpg highway. You could even do a Transit Connect based RV rather easily too. I'm sure many applications will be made out of them,

I doubt that you could get 20 mpg with the added weight of an RV. At least not for a few years. Note that the Transits shown are the previous generation. The current model has a different grill and lights. IMO the version that we will get will be different again.

I doubt that you could get 20 mpg with the added weight of an RV. At least not for a few years. Note that the Transits shown are the previous generation. The current model has a different grill and lights. IMO the version that we will get will be different again.

Manufactures of Sprinter based RV's claim they get 18 to 22 mpg...

Manufactures of Sprinter based RV's claim they get 18 to 22 mpg...

Exactly! Why should Dodge be the sole manufacturer of small & efficient RV chassis'? The Chevy & Econoline van campers have poorer mileage, so a smaller frame with a diesel or hybrid system might be a good selling point.... especially as Ford's reliability begins to be a positive.

You can get the Transit as a dump truck. Amagine a dump truck with 22 mpg.

When empty maybe.

The Sprinter based Class B & Class C have been gaining popularity, but I don't see the Transit ever replacing E-Series based RV's unless the towing capacity on the Transit/Sprinter chassis goes up enough to pull a decent size toad.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that there are two Transits....

Transit - Europes full size van from Ford

Transit Connect - Europes small van from Ford

Those RV pics are of the full size Euro Ford....

Just as an aside, I would love to see both Transits come into the NA market, as long as they are built here in one of the many closed factories that Ford has in the system.

http://vehicle.kea-rv-sales.com/Prod/NZ/Do...2008)%20PDF.pdf

10L/100Km equals 23.5 miles to the gallon...FYI. Not bad at all!

Edited by twintornados

Just a reminder that there are two Transits....

Transit - Europes full size van from Ford

Transit Connect - Europes small van from Ford

Those RV pics are of the full size Euro Ford....

Just as an aside, I would love to see both Transits come into the NA market, as long as they are built here in one of the many closed factories that Ford has in the system.

http://vehicle.kea-rv-sales.com/Prod/NZ/Do...2008)%20PDF.pdf

10L/100Km equals 23.5 miles to the gallon...FYI. Not bad at all!

Amen!

• 2 years later...

...t I don't see the Transit ever replacing E-Series based RV's ...

Roger that !

All the rumors I have heard say that the E350/450 will continue on pretty much as is. (Sadly, still no rumors of a diesel.)

What most Americans don't know is that the EU Transit is actually a "family" of 3 (or 4?) unique platforms. There are no plans for the US to get the "long wheel base", which I believe is used for most EU RVs.

• 1 month later...

I've thought about this vehicle more as a full sized conversion van alternative. There is so much room in the TC that you could easily replace all the crappy seats with captain's chairs and a folding bench/bed. There's room for a sunroof and a nice lighting system on the ceiling as well as a good sized flat screen TV. Add a good stereo and some carpet/fabric on the doors and walls and it could be as pimped out as any full sized conversion van while returning better mileage and drivability. Many people who use this as a business truck load it up with equipment; I wonder what kind of highway mileage they get. I'll bet as a conversion van, a 2.5L I4 backed by a 6 speed automatic would be a better drivetrain for drivability and fuel economy. Why not make it optional?