Musing on Toyota's Financials

RichardJensen

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A CD's pretty hard

M$ doesnt sell cd's, nor do they sell boxes which depending on ones definition are also hard.

The development cost of software is relatively low, it didnt cost M$ tens of billions to code win 98 and once that is paid for the production costs are essentially less than 1% of what M$ charges the end user. In fact I would venture to guess its less than 1/2% of that cost.

A cd costs what? A few cents?

What is a program? letters and numbers strung together in a precise order, what M$ essentially provides is a service.

I could essentially produce MS Windows on my home pc. Can you build a modern vehicle that meets all US safety and emissions standards in your garage from scratch? That includes the engine, transmission, computer etc etc etc. Can you buy one Ford Mustang and sell pirated versions at your local lot in China town?

Once software is coded that company doesnt needs hundreds of factory workers to produce the end product. In fact they probably need less than 10.

Edited by one2gamble

M$ doesnt sell cd's, nor do they sell boxes which depending on ones definition are also hard.

The development cost of software is relatively low, it didnt cost M$ tens of billions to code win 98 and once that is paid for the production costs are essentially less than 1% of what M$ charges the end user. In fact I would venture to guess its less than 1/2% of that cost.

A cd costs what? A few cents?

What is a program? letters and numbers strung together in a precise order, what M$ essentially provides is a service.

I could essentially produce MS Windows on my home pc. Can you build a modern vehicle that meets all US safety and emissions standards in your garage from scratch? That includes the engine, transmission, computer etc etc etc. Can you buy one Ford Mustang and sell pirated versions at your local lot in China town?

Once software is coded that company doesnt needs hundreds of factory workers to produce the end product. In fact they probably need less than 10.

Check out this BMW

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103612

Doesn't seem very difficult and it will probably run circles around a Fusion.

I dont have to write the code, a free OS already exists by other people who chose to do it for me.

How is that car coming along again?

OK lets get this over with.

The question is---

'Is' or 'is not' software a product.

ie The software Microsoft produces, is that product or is it something else?

And if the software is not a product what is it?

I have always considered software a service. I guess its because its something that you can either do yourself or get for free but some would simply rather pay for it. Not because they have to but because they want to. This really isnt the case with traditional industry, industry that produces tangible goods.

Sure, a service can and very often is considered a product. Hell my used toilet paper can be considered a product. Thats not what is at issue here.

Edited by one2gamble

I have always considered software a service. I guess its because its something that you can either do yourself or get for free but some would simply rather pay for it. Not because they have to but because they want to. This really isnt the case with traditional industry, industry that produces tangible goods.

Sure, a service can and very often is considered a product. Hell my used toilet paper can be considered a product. Thats not what is at issue here.

I must be arguing with an economics proffessor!