OAC News

otp

:blink: I really think the people who are in favour of taking the down time--1 shift-- should shake their collective noggins! Yeah sure you get your sub and EI, but your DENTAL is gone after 30 days and the nice thing--getting out of your warm houses and looking for work because we'll be on and "indefinite layoff" which means you have to be actively searching for work, filling out forms to prove this and if you don't your Ei is CUT OFF and SUB as well. So everyone come out and vote on the 18th! I'd rather stay status quo until flex is fully operational and have no hassles to deal with in those down weeks. How 'bout you?..... ;)

Edited by Yukon Cornilius

:blink: I really think the people who are in favour of taking the down time--1 shift-- should shake their collective noggins! Yeah sure you get your sub and EI, but your DENTAL is gone after 30 days and the nice thing--getting out of your warm houses and looking for work because we'll be on and "indefinite layoff" which means you have to be actively searching for work, filling out forms to prove this and if you don't your Ei is CUT OFF and SUB as well. So everyone come out and vote on the 18th! I'd rather stay status quo until flex is fully operational and have no hassles to deal with in those down weeks. How 'bout you?..... ;)

Talked to the committeeman yesterday....The only two choices are to stay on the 2 week on, 2 week off schedule or EVERYONE is laid off for 3 or 4 months. There is NO option of going to ONE shift. Ford wants us to choose the latter because of the Delphi situation with their strike date set for January 15. If we are laid off for those months, they will not have to pay us short work week because of parts shortages. I, myself, cannot make it to the vote, but was told by the committeeman, that my vote will count as staying with the way it is now.

I know that there were a lot of people who sat on the fence when it came to this vote. Opening up the contract and all, but lets face it, we did that back in '04 with the flex agreement. So now lets just sit back and see how things work out. We definitely come out of this thing smelling like roses, now the ball lays in Ford's court. Times are changing, we as a union almost have to work along side the company to preserve our collective futures. BUT and this is a big BUT, the union will always be there to make sure the company holds true to it's actions and to treat us fair and quite frankly that's what it's all about. If you guys get bored look at the new car company "GEELY" DUMPING an SUV into North America next year and the kicker is it's selling price of around $10,000.00. What the hell is that anyways? We need a government in power that will look after the auto industry as a whole and not sell us out! Start putting tarrifs on these outfits! Something to think about.........

They are going to invade us ... ;-)

The right-wing-nut Tucker.. blah blah.. To bad he never mentions that most of the rhetoric coming from the PM is due to softwood. The tribunal set up by both the US and Canada to resolve trade disputes under the FTA has ruled in Canada’s favor. Yet the Bush Administration ( note how I say "administration" rather then Americans) refuses to recognize the judgment

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WASHINGTON (CP) - Canada has been described lately by a conservative U.S. television host as "a stalker" and a "retarded cousin."

Another pundit recently asked if Canadians weren't getting "a little too big for their britches." There's been a spate of Canada-bashing by right-wing media commentators in the United States ever since Prime Minister Paul Martin's complaints about lumber penalties and U.S. policy on climate change. His remarks prompted an unusual rebuke last week from the American ambassador.

The attacks on Canada have had web bloggers typing overtime and a non-profit group that's monitoring the trend, Media Matters for America, says it's disturbing.

Yet Paul Waldman, a senior fellow for the group, said Monday the criticism is confined to the usual faction that erupts whenever there's criticism of President George W. Bush's administration and it probably won't last past Canada's Jan. 23 election.

"There are always going to be occasions when it pops up. But Canada is never going to occupy an extraordinary amount of American thought," said Waldman.

"It's more like: 'Who can we beat on today?' It's never going to reach the heights of animosity toward France in the run-up to the Iraq war."

Last week, MSNBC host Tucker Carlson, a well-known conservative pundit, let loose with a string of anti-Canada rants.

"Anybody with any ambition at all, or intelligence, has left Canada and is now living in New York," he said.

"Canada is a sweet country. It is like your retarded cousin you see at Thanksgiving and sort of pat him on the head. You know, he's nice but you don't take him seriously. That's Canada."

Carlson also said it's pointless to tell Canada to stop criticizing the United States.

"It only eggs them on. Canada is essentially a stalker, stalking the United States, right? Canada has little pictures of us in its bedroom, right?"

"It's unrequited love between Canada and the United States. We, meanwhile, don't even know Canada's name. We pay no attention at all," he said.

The day before, Fox News host Neil Cavuto highlighted Martin's remark at a news conference that the United States is a "reticent nation" lacking a "global conscience" on climate change.

"So have the Canadians gotten a little too big for their britches?" Cavuto asked.

"Could our neighbours to the north soon be our enemies?"

Douglas MacKinnon, a press secretary to former Republican senator Bob Dole, also recently accused Canada of harbouring terrorists.

"Can Canada really be considered our friend anymore?" he asked in a recent commentary in the right-wing Washington Times newspaper.

"What other question can be asked when the Canadian government not only willingly allows Islamic terrorists into their country but does nothing to stop them from entering our nation?"

U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins warned Martin last week to tone down anti-American jabs or risk hurting bilateral relations. But Martin was unrepentant, saying he would "not be dictated to" by the United States and his hard line appears to be resonating with some voters.

While the offensive from American pundits isn't widespread, it still has the potential to affect cross-border ties, said Waldman.

"On Capitol Hill, the TVs are turned to Fox News. This kind of media environment is what the White House pays attention to," he said.

"That hostility is probably shared by a lot of people in the administration."

Can Am, you and people like you have been bad mouthing the USA for a long time. I am Canadian, myself. Finally, they are starting to give it back. I agree with most of what they are saying about you and your ilk. You can dish it out, but you can't take it. Jean Cretien and Carolyn Parrish started this mess, not the USA.

Can Am, you and people like you have been bad mouthing the USA for a long time. I am Canadian, myself. Finally, they are starting to give it back. I agree with most of what they are saying about you and your ilk. You can dish it out, but you can't take it. Jean Cretien and Carolyn Parrish started this mess, not the USA.

Invading a country without support from the only international body might have had something to do with it. Dont you remember what thet U.S. said back then, and remember Canadians are in afghanistan.

Canada is a French country. that is why they didn't want to fight.

Ah, finally someone played the "French" card..

Go check out which country sent aid to New Orleans first and then fuck off.

I have nothing against "Americans" only the ignorant ones, thankfully your end of the gene pool seems to be shallow.

People like me and my ilk? What the hell are you talking about? Read my post again! Read it slowwwwly.Think, then post a reply! And if anyone missed the wink/grin ;-) at the end of the " invade" you are forgiven … now back on topic! .. Merry Christmas

Sorry if I took you the wrong way. After 9/11, when the USA needed our condolences and support, all they got form our government was a slap in the face. That may be why they are giving us a hard time now.

No after 911 Canada was there for the U.S. they went into Afghanistan with the U.S. too. It was 2 years after when Bush said Saddam and Osama worked together that Chretien though it but Parrish said that he was an idiot. And guess what he is an idiot, no weapons, no connection, no threat.

No after 911 Canada was there for the U.S. they went into Afghanistan with the U.S. too. It was 2 years after when Bush said Saddam and Osama worked together that Chretien though it but Parrish said that he was an idiot. And guess what he is an idiot, no weapons, no connection, no threat.

Back to your old taunting ways?

Bush may be an idiot but so is our current leader...so lets just call it a wash..

Parrish is a tactless moron and Chretien was and is a lying fool.

Back to your old taunting ways?

Bush may be an idiot but so is our current leader...so lets just call it a wash..

Parrish is a tactless moron and Chretien was and is a lying fool.

fact is a fact, have you ever listened to Bush? HE IS SIMPLY AN IDIOT. The man said Canada was not there for the U.S. after 911 but it was. Bush said there was a connection between Osama and Saddam, Canada said there wasn't, so then the U.S. attacked Canada for a lack of support, THEN Canada retaliated.

And as for Canada's current leader he has the full support of Basil "Buzz" Hargrove. Do you remember the press conference a few weeks ago? Besides whatever Martins short comings are, Bush can't hold a candle next him in the inteligence department, imagine Bush in a minority parliamentary situation :lol: . So NO it cannot be a wash and you are being insubordinate. Keep it up and I will be forced to tell on you.

Edited by foxrun