How about a factory dual exhaust option for the V6 ?

mustang07

My favorite part of having a Mustang GT (besides having a bunch of power on tap) is the sound from the dual exhaust. I am seriously considering a V6 Mustang when the lease is up on my '07 GT due to the price of gas and the fact I drive 15,000+ miles a year. I realize the rear facia on the V6 isn't cutout for dual exhaust, just single, but that wouldn't be a big issue to have the cutouts for duals made in the facia. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for this option if it were available. Maybe the 2010 V6 will have dual exhaust. How does anyone else feel about this?

My favorite part of having a Mustang GT (besides having a bunch of power on tap) is the sound from the dual exhaust. I am seriously considering a V6 Mustang when the lease is up on my '07 GT due to the price of gas and the fact I drive 15,000+ miles a year. I realize the rear facia on the V6 isn't cutout for dual exhaust, just single, but that wouldn't be a big issue to have the cutouts for duals made in the facia. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for this option if it were available. Maybe the 2010 V6 will have dual exhaust. How does anyone else feel about this?

As I said in the 'Wish List' section, I agree that dual exhaust should be an option for V6 models.

While a dual exhaust might be very nice on a V-6 Mustang, there are cost considerations. A true dual exhaust might/probably require a 2nd catalytic converter and other engineering which could make the "option" cost prohibitive. Believe it or not, the last thing that Ford Dealers need is more ordering options on a Mustang as there's already too many!

Not to mention that dual exhaust on a V6 sounds very buzzy, much like a riced-out Honda... No matter what you do, a V6 will never sound throaty like a V8.

IMO, Ford shouldnt even offer a V6 in the Mustang. If you are worried about gas milage, perhaps you should be looking at something besides the Mustang.

Not to mention that dual exhaust on a V6 sounds very buzzy, much like a riced-out Honda... No matter what you do, a V6 will never sound throaty like a V8.

IMO, Ford shouldnt even offer a V6 in the Mustang. If you are worried about gas milage, perhaps you should be looking at something besides the Mustang.

Mustang needs the V6 now more than ever. Also, V6 engines can be made to sound very nice. Nissan VQ and the EGG versions of the Chrysler SOHC V6.

Edited by suv_guy_19

I would if the rest of Ford cars didn't suck. I'm sure the exhaust could be "tuned" to not sound like a riced out Honda since supposidly the V8's exhaust was "tuned" to sound retro.

I think a dual exhaust "look" would do well for not only the V6 Mustang, but the 4cyl Fusion and Taurus as well. Nissan starting doing this on their 2.5 Altima and I think it looks real good. It gives it a more upscale look.

FILE0176.jpg

I agree. I hate the "dual" (two on one side) exhaust that many of the new Ford products have. I definietly like the symmetrical look of one pipe (or even 2 in some applications, M cars) on each side.

A true dual exhaust might/probably require a 2nd catalytic converter and other engineering which could make the "option" cost prohibitive. Believe it or not, the last thing that Ford Dealers need is more ordering options on a Mustang as there's already too many!

I don't know how much things have changed, but my V6 Mustang already had two sets of cats (a total of 4 or 6, I forget). It was after the cats that Ford used a "Y" pipe to combine the two sides, into one exhaust. So, for that, a dual exhaust would just be a second muffler, the extra set of cat-back pipes, and the different rear fascia.

Though, Ford does offer a dual exhaust option from the factory. It is called "GT". :D

I agree. I hate the "dual" (two on one side) exhaust that many of the new Ford products have. I definietly like the symmetrical look of one pipe (or even 2 in some applications, M cars) on each side.

Yep. One thing I liked about the Mazda6. All versions, 4 cyl or 6 cyl, have dual exhaust. Of course, it makes it impossible to tell that I spent the extra cash for a 6 cyl when looking at my car from the rear though. I think that's one thing keeping duals off the V6 in the Mustang. The duals are a quick and easy way for people to tell the guy or gal in front of them is packing 8 cylinders under the hood.

Yep. One thing I liked about the Mazda6. All versions, 4 cyl or 6 cyl, have dual exhaust. Of course, it makes it impossible to tell that I spent the extra cash for a 6 cyl when looking at my car from the rear though. I think that's one thing keeping duals off the V6 in the Mustang. The duals are a quick and easy way for people to tell the guy or gal in front of them is packing 8 cylinders under the hood.

Or of course you could do what my friend did....he got the GT's rear bumper, put dual exhaust in his V6 and got the GT's fog lights (with HID bulbs) up front and custom wheels, so you can't tell it's a V6 (except for engine noise and when you open the hood).

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the Mustang should get a dual exhaust setup option. The V6 Fusion has dual exhaust and it sound good with factory mufflers. Ford can do the same thing with the Mustang. They already have half the parts to make it happen. It doesn't need to have a loud sounding exhaust for the V6 duals. They may find that performance on the V6 and gas mileage would pick up just a little with the better flowing exhaust system.

As to the comment with too options already, there are never too many options that you can put on a car. And you being a car dealer should know that already. It sounds like you don't like to strain your brain when ordering cars and trying to guess which options will sell a car on your lot that people want.

Or of course you could do what my friend did....he got the GT's rear bumper, put dual exhaust in his V6 and got the GT's fog lights (with HID bulbs) up front and custom wheels, so you can't tell it's a V6 (except for engine noise and when you open the hood).

That's cheating. It especially irks me when I see faux Cobras.

I agree that the Mustang should get a dual exhaust setup option. The V6 Fusion has dual exhaust and it sound good with factory mufflers. Ford can do the same thing with the Mustang. They already have half the parts to make it happen. It doesn't need to have a loud sounding exhaust for the V6 duals. They may find that performance on the V6 and gas mileage would pick up just a little with the better flowing exhaust system.

As to the comment with too options already, there are never too many options that you can put on a car. And you being a car dealer should know that already. It sounds like you don't like to strain your brain when ordering cars and trying to guess which options will sell a car on your lot that people want.

OUCH! I'm sorry to read that you disagree with my opinion about the number of options available for a new Mustang but won't argue with you. My company "Demo" is a 2008 Mustang GT/CS edition and I've been managing my Dealershipo's new vehicle inventory for 22 years now so I think I have a pretty good idea about the Ford vehicle ordering process. The new Fast Turn Order (FTO) suggestions are a welcome addition in assisting Dealer's to order units that will sell quickly. Fast Turn Order (FTO) recommendations help Dealers order units that will sell more quickly. Unfortunately, every time that Ford offers new options to a Mustang, it makes it that much more difficult for Dealer's to order units that will sell quickly. The best opinion I can offer about vehicle ordering complexity is for the F-150. The F-150 Order Guide is 26 pages!

In addition, there are local Market situations that each Dealer must consider. In my Market, the fastest selling Mustang version is the GT/CS edition. Yes, we still sell V6 Mustang's but in our Market we sell mostly GT's. Actually, we gone as far as 600 miles to buy new Mustang's from other Dealers.

Edited by ice-capades

While a dual exhaust might be very nice on a V-6 Mustang, there are cost considerations. A true dual exhaust might/probably require a 2nd catalytic converter and other engineering which could make the "option" cost prohibitive. Believe it or not, the last thing that Ford Dealers need is more ordering options on a Mustang as there's already too many!

Mullaly has already mandated few options.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not order the FRPP M-5230-V6* its a dual exhaust for the v-6 or 2005-08 V6 MUSTANG POWER UPGRADE PACKAGE

M-2007-FR1V6*** M-2007-FR1V6

Unlike the competition, Ford Racing Power Upgrade Packages are 50 State Street Legal and covered under WARRANTY when Ford or Lincoln Mercury Dealer installed and certain conditions apply. See www.fordracingparts.com for warranty information.

* Fits 2005-08 V6 Mustang with Manual or Automatic transmission.

* 12 hp increase over stock

* Kit includes:

85mm Cold Air Kit M-9603-V605

Dual Exhaust Kit with X-Pipe M-5230-V6

Includes mufflers used as standard equipment on the 2008 Mustang Bullitt

Performance Oil Filter

* Premium fuel only

* Due to multiple calibrations, online registration is required to receive Pro-Cal tool after purchase.

* Engine calibrations are developed and supported for U.S. and Canadian vehicles only

* Pro-Cal tool voucher included with kit

* Ford Racing Cold Air Kits utilize production quality components which mount in the stock location. The higher flowing molded plastic bucket features a painted Ford Racing logo with unique air tube providing an enhanced intake sound specific to the V6 Mustang

* 50 State "Street Legal" (E.O. #D-598-2)

so this is sort of a dealer option If deal puts it on has a 3 year 36K mile warrenty

• 1 year later...

Nice optioned car.

Why not order the FRPP M-5230-V6* its a dual exhaust for the v-6 or 2005-08 V6 MUSTANG POWER UPGRADE PACKAGE

M-2007-FR1V6*** M-2007-FR1V6

Unlike the competition, Ford Racing Power Upgrade Packages are 50 State Street Legal and covered under WARRANTY when Ford or Lincoln Mercury Dealer installed and certain conditions apply. See www.fordracingparts.comtire for warranty information.

* Fits 2005-08 V6 Mustang with Manual or Automatic transmission.

* 12 hp increase over stock

* Kit includes:

85mm Cold Air Kit M-9603-V605

Dual Exhaust Kit with X-Pipe M-5230-V6

Includes mufflers used as standard equipment on the 2008 Mustang Bullitt

Performance Oil Filter

* Premium fuel only

* Due to multiple calibrations, online registration is required to receive Pro-Cal tool after purchase.

* Engine calibrations are developed and supported for U.S. and Canadian cars only

* Ford Racing Cold Air Kits utilize production quality components which mount in the stock location. The higher flowing molded plastic bucket features a painted Ford Racing logo with unique air tube providing an enhanced intake sound specific to the V6 Mustang

* 50 State "Street Legal" (E.O. #D-598-2)

so this is sort of a dealer option If deal puts it on has a 3 year 36K mile warrenty

Also, limited slip differential is now standard for the V6 (no more one wheel burnouts). It's nice to know that the Mustang engineers listen to what we want.

I do not recall, but did they already ditch the 7.5" rear on the V6 with the debut of the S197, and if not, is it finally gone now with the 2011?

Edited by NickF1011

They look pretty nice, too!

11MustangV6_exhaust.jpg

This is exactly what I've been waiting for. 305hp (my '07 GT only had 300hp) and dual exhaust. I hope the exhaust it "tuned" to sound good. The new 5.0 GT with 400+ hp may be a great car, but the V6 with 305hp for the street and everyday driving plus decent fuel economy is my ticket for a good drive!

This is exactly what I've been waiting for. 305hp (my '07 GT only had 300hp) and dual exhaust. I hope the exhaust it "tuned" to sound good. The new 5.0 GT with 400+ hp may be a great car, but the V6 with 305hp for the street and everyday driving plus decent fuel economy is my ticket for a good drive!

I've just about decided I needs me a Mustang because the wife likes my new Taurus enough to want it for herself. I was gonna wait for the '11s to see how much money there'd be on the remaining '10 GTs... but I may rethink that now that I've seen this picture. Dual makes a whole big difference in the look. :shades: