Transit Connect spied testing!

rmc523

In the UK Ford's Transit connect is used by Royal Mail collect all of Britains post from the red post boxes, and then deliver the mail parcels that the postman can't deliver by bike. British Telecom Engineers use Connects to fix & maintain out telephone service, and British Gas Engineers use Connects to fix boilers and cooker etc. Most shops do home deliveries in Connects. Online websites like Amazon & eBay both are fully intergated with the Royal Mail which delivers their parcels by Connects or bike.

Just interested what sort of vehicle is used in the States to do the same jobs we use a Connect for in the UK.

Please don't tell me you only use a Toyota because they are the only reliable option, because everything is reliable you don't see many cars break down these days they are all reliable, if it does breakdown it's owned by some lazy bastard that thinks you can go a year without checking the water in the rad or air in the tires?

Well, these are our mailtrucks:

800px-USPS-Mail-Truck.jpg

Then for most of the other stuff you mentioned, most companies use Econolines

And then UPS and FedEx, etc. use the bigger trucks:

ups.jpg

800px-FedEx_truck,_Chicago,_IL.JPG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A while ago I read that Chrysler was going to put a larger grill on the Sprinter so that it appeals to American buyers better. Ford needs to do the same.

Well this is what the current Sprinter looks like:

08DodgeSprinter.jpg

Compared to the old one:

2005_Dodge_Sprinter3500Cargo_ext_1.jpg

Well this is what the current Sprinter looks like:

08DodgeSprinter.jpg

Compared to the old one:

2005_Dodge_Sprinter3500Cargo_ext_1.jpg

Did you notice the new Sprinter shown is taller than the old Sprinter shown. I think the larger grill makes it look a lot better. The smoother, curved lines make it look more refined and less utilitarian. The upper windshield vents are pulled apart to make it look like it has a wider stance.

At first look they look similar. But I think they made a big improvement in style.

I would have made the grill 1/3 taller and a bit wider.

Edited by battyr

Well, these are our mailtrucks:

800px-USPS-Mail-Truck.jpg

Then for most of the other stuff you mentioned, most companies use Econolines

And then UPS and FedEx, etc. use the bigger trucks:

ups.jpg

800px-FedEx_truck,_Chicago,_IL.JPG

I think you could fit all the stuff from the UPS van in 4 or 5 TC's.

Did you notice the new Sprinter shown is taller than the old Sprinter shown. I think the larger grill makes it look a lot better. The smoother, curved lines make it look more refined and less utilitarian. The upper windshield vents are pulled apart to make it look like it has a wider stance.

At first look they look similar. But I think they made a big improvement in style.

I would have made the grill 1/3 taller and a bit wider.

I would definitely agree that the improvements they made make it look a lot better.

I would definitely agree that the improvements they made make it look a lot better.

Ford are starting to pick up a lot of orders for it's bigger electric Transit, and with 10 big cities in the UK are now in the process of setting up Low Emmisions Zones where vans can be charged up to $400 a day to drive in London. Low emission zones are already planned or in operation in 70 towns and cities in eight European countries including Norway, the Netherlands and Germany.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7215252.stm

British Telecom & British Gas Engineers don't need big vans.

conect30.jpg

Ford should get lots of orders for it's sub-3.5t electric van in the future , built using the Ford Transit shell. Newton is sold in 7.5t and 9t configurations. Both vehicles have restricted top speeds of up to 50mph and are capable of covering 150 miles on one battery charge.

http://www.green-car-guide.com/news/royal-...ission-vans.htm

conect20.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Ford knows they made a good decision by adding the cost of hybrid technology to the Escape instead of the Focus. Small car buyers won't pay the extra thousands of dollars for hybrid. The Escape is light enough to keep the cost of the hybrid down, but still has a good markup. I think the same logic can apply to the TC. I can see a lot of business buying hybrid TC's, just so they can show they are environmentaly friendly. Like the 4 cylinder Escape, I think the TC needs a power and fuel efficiency boost and hybrid technology would do both.

I believe that NYC requires taxi's to be hybrids too. I can not think of anything else that would compete against a hybrid TC. Ford would own the market.

Ford knows they made a good decision by adding the cost of hybrid technology to the Escape instead of the Focus. Small car buyers won't pay the extra thousands of dollars for hybrid. The Escape is light enough to keep the cost of the hybrid down, but still has a good markup. I think the same logic can apply to the TC. I can see a lot of business buying hybrid TC's, just so they can show they are environmentaly friendly. Like the 4 cylinder Escape, I think the TC needs a power and fuel efficiency boost and hybrid technology would do both.

I believe that NYC requires taxi's to be hybrids too. I can not think of anything else that would compete against a hybrid TC. Ford would own the market.

Yes, I believe you're correct. IIRC, NYC just passed legislation a few months ago requiring all taxis to be hybrids by a certain year (don't remember what year though). I do agree that the TC would do well for taxi duty.

Is this just speculation about a TC Hybrid, or are they making one? I ask because I think what Ford Jellymoulds was talking about was an electric only Transit.

Edited by rmc523

Low emissions zones? How the hell do you people put up with that load of bull?

Yes it is legalised stealing Nick from a bankrupt government, the motorist is an easy target to milk of cash. It's the law we have to abide by it's as simple as that, there is no party you can vote for that will get rid of it.

Brit's are a bit apathetic they will just accept it and downsize over time to smaller cars & vans which that break their low zone emmision zone or congestion charge rules & regulations and give them a tax break.

Yes, I believe you're correct. IIRC, NYC just passed legislation a few months ago requiring all taxis to be hybrids by a certain year (don't remember what year though). I do agree that the TC would do well for taxi duty.

Is this just speculation about a TC Hybrid, or are they making one? I ask because I think what Ford Jellymoulds was talking about was an electric only Transit.

A TC hybrid is pure speculation. But the next generation should be based on the C2 and the C2 would be designed to be hybrid compatible. Also if you can have an electric TC, then you can have a hybrid just as easy.

• 3 years later...

Actually, it's very explicable.

It won't pass emissions. Explicable enough?

It might not pass based on grams of CO2 per liter/gallon used, but it should in grams of CO2 per mile driven.

Is really interesting how the EPA measure the pollutant factors, they cannot bring the Citroen C4 (small/mid size sedan) because "does not meet emission standards" but that car, yields ~65 MPG (3.8 liters per every 100km driven, you make the math) but the approve/exempt the big super duty with what, 15 18MPG? that´s over for time the diesel burnt.

Therefore, if my math is right, this Citroen C4 burns 4 times worst than the F-350 dually....