Transit Connect spied testing!

rmc523

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't like the front end styling. The windshield looks too big. Front hood and grill looks too small. I wonder what it would look like with a taller hood and a Verve grill.

Need 8 seat version for US. with fold down seats. Add Airline style over head bins.

Make it a cross between a Greyhound and a Scion.

Camo or not, WHO are they worried might take some it's styling cues? And another vehicle that should already be on dealer lots....And of course Ford doesn't bother to bring the 40mpg diesel for inexplicable reasons again.

Edited by kevinb120

Camo or not, WHO are they worried might take some it's styling cues? And another vehicle that should already be on dealer lots....And of course Ford doesn't bother to bring the 40mpg diesel for inexplicable reasons again.

Actually, it's very explicable.

It won't pass emissions. Explicable enough?

No.............. they won't pass the US ridiculous "diesels have to emit as little of EVERYTHING as gas engines do, and when you can make them pass US emissions, the fuel economy goes WAY down," emissions.

In Europe, diesels are allowed to emit particulates. They are allowed to emit NOX. Here they can't.

Here is an interesting tidbit for you. Big diesels, you know, the 80K pound variety.............. with the cheap, old dirty fuel, were getting 5-6 and sometimes even 7mpg. With the new low sulfer diesel, and all emissions BS, they now get 4-5mpg (ocassionally 5.5).

This is what the new, low sulfer diesel, and diesel emissions has given us. Well, that along with diesel fuel that costs 20-25% more than gas.............. since it can now be sold in other countries for more profit (guess the govt didn't think about that).

Yes diesel emissions will eventually become as efficient as gas engine emissions............. in 10-20 years. Until then............ well.............. do you like the price of food, and everything else now???

That 40mpg European diesel engine will probably get 30mpg, with emissions, here. Where is the great deal in that???

I don't like the front end styling. The windshield looks too big. Front hood and grill looks too small. I wonder what it would look like with a taller hood and a Verve grill.

Need 8 seat version for US. with fold down seats. Add Airline style over head bins.

Make it a cross between a Greyhound and a Scion.

I interior looks a little cheap. Need C2 version very bad. I think Ford wants to see how this version sells in the US before they design the C2 version.

It's not really supposed to look great, it'll be largely a fleet vehicle.

It's not really supposed to look great, it'll be largely a fleet vehicle.

So who do they sell the F-150 to. Farmers and contractors don't need their F-150 to look great.

If you look at Fords promotional videos, all the potential buyers are small business owners. They will buy the vehicle that they want to drive.

If Ford only sells to the fleet market, they will be missing out the profit you get by optioning up a a desired vehicle.

Import them to prove there is a market for them in the US. Then make it look hot and build them in the US, or at least in Mexico or Brazil.

So who do they sell the F-150 to. Farmers and contractors don't need their F-150 to look great.

If you look at Fords promotional videos, all the potential buyers are small business owners. They will buy the vehicle that they want to drive.

If Ford only sells to the fleet market, they will be missing out the profit you get by optioning up a a desired vehicle.

Import them to prove there is a market for them in the US. Then make it look hot and build them in the US, or at least in Mexico or Brazil.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I agree, it could definitely look better, but it doesn't, so....

It looks like does have a Vervy trapazoid grill. It may get some other changes too, that don't affect cooling or aerodynamics....it's a mule.

I think the shape (I won't call it styling) is distinctive in a good utilitarian way. It's definitely form following function. It has "cult car" written all over it.

I hope the dash changes....it looks like something out of a 90s F150. If they could could nudge the MPGs to 25/30 it would be great.

Ford Connect the UK's best selling small vans are everywhere in the UK you can never go out without seeing loads of them they all over the place doing just about anything they will be a very big hit in the States as well.

I can see the postal service buying these. Could put Grumman out of business.

It looks like does have a Vervy trapazoid grill. It may get some other changes too, that don't affect cooling or aerodynamics....it's a mule.

I think the shape (I won't call it styling) is distinctive in a good utilitarian way. It's definitely form following function. It has "cult car" written all over it.

I hope the dash changes....it looks like something out of a 90s F150. If they could could nudge the MPGs to 25/30 it would be great.

I really didn't look at the spy pictures closely before. It does copy the newes european styling with out requiring any changes to the body.

I agree that this needs to be a "cult car" if it is to get more than just low profit commercial sales. I do think it's general shape looks good and would help make it a cult car. I have always beleived in Form should follow function, especially in this type of vehicle.

Now looking at styling, Guessing what is under the disguise I think they are in going in the right directions. If I could change the body, I would reduce the slope of the hood slightly. Pull the hood forward to make it flush with the front bumper. I would even pull the front bumper and hood forward if it can be done without adding extra weight. I would replace the upper and lower grill with one super big lower grill just like on the Verve. This would take your attension away from the long windshield. Together with the longer hood, the vehicle will look more stylish, better proportioned, and less shocking to American norm.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed with the fuel economy, unless they make a lot of little changes. It needs 6-speed dual clutch, direct injection, electric power steering, low roll resistant tires, and more.

I thinks a lot of Americans with be disappointed with the performance of the 2.0 L. They might get away with it if they use the 6-speed dual clutch and direct injection. Even with this I think they will be a pschological problem with a 2.0 L. It would be easier to sell a 2.5 L with less performance. Could be cheaper too. A 2.5 L would hurt mileage, but may not be that bad with a 2.5 L and high gearing.

I think if they do a good job with the C2 version, they could have a huge hit. It really reminds me of what the 1986 Dodge minvan was. Remember the Dodge was a lot smaller than todays and came with a 2.2 L 4. The Transit Connect can carry a lot more stuff, can be an 8 seater is sharper looking, and could have a lot better quality.

It would be good for many deliver companies. It would be too small for most courier companies. They are required to deliver everything in one trip with one driver. They would rather pay for an other sized vehicle and get the most work from their employees than to risk making extra trips. Some delivery people don't require any bigger than a Honda Fit. A pizza driver need to make fresh pickups after 20 min. so they don't need the space. For deliveries, I see the Transit Connect as niche vehicle. They need consumer appeal to get large sales.