Windstar 3.8 engine cylinder head gasket failure

Read bunches of complaints about 3.8 engine failures due to premature head gasket failure but never the reason why. I worked on Taurus/Sables with these engines from 1990 to 1994 and never heard ,or read, of headgasket problems. Did Ford change the design and screw it up?

huh? :shrug:

Not to be the board police, but you might have more luck if you post that in a different part of the forum...

Sorry, I'm new to this E-mail thing, What I was asking in my post was 1) Was there a change made in the design of the 3.8 headgasket that was causing premature failures and 2) why were owners of Windstar vans complaining ? I don't remember 3.8's having this problem. They would not have been in Lincoln Continentals had this problem been occurring. If I'm posting this in the wrong section then, point me in the right direction.

FYI: this is in the wrong forum, needs to be in the windstar/freestar forum.

Anyhoo, the 94-95 3.8's were the absolute worst of the worst. Almost all FWD 3.8's headgaskets failed, almost all at low mileage. The gaskets/heads and torque sequences all changed for those years. The latest gaskets with the latest torque specs were the only fix. FYI: my personal car at the time was a 92 Taurus with the 3.8. It blew gaskets at 120k. Using the failure prone gaskets and specs (all that were available at the time) they lasted approx 20k.

• 1 month later...