2009 Navigator...

1tufgt

The Expy i drove was a long version, im sorry but the thing was just lazy compared to my 03 Gator, "Ok so i did not mention i deleted two cats, put efans on, AF1 intake, and a superchips :P but i do run 22" with 345/55 22' so most of that is offset :) The steering was not as tight as my 03 also. but i have to admit it was the most quiet of the gmc or toyo.... The 07 Gator i tested i liked over all, there was some cheep parts that i did not like on that but i can live with, like the head rest metal looked like zink metal versus chrome.... Don't get me wrong, i have owned nothing but fords for over 20 years, had both first gen Gator 97 to the second gen gator 03 ultimate,, but wtf are they doing over there. They took a great SUV like the 03-06 and turned it into the most ugliest thing on the road. I'm not saying that with a few mods you cant turn it into something nicer but man i still cant get to love the style like my 03 :( The Sequoia had many features i wish the Gator had, but the dash design really turned me off just like the 07+ Navigators.... I'm just pointing things out, im sure some will say anything just for the sake of ford but even them people deep inside know that ford is really fokin up!

Edited by DAFTEK

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Expy i drove was a long version, im sorry but the thing was just lazy compared to my 03 Gator, "Ok so i did not mention i deleted two cats, put efans on, AF1 intake, and a superchips :P but i do run 22" with 345/55 22' so most of that is offset :) The steering was not as tight as my 03 also. but i have to admit it was the most quiet of the gmc or toyo.... The 07 Gator i tested i liked over all, there was some cheep parts that i did not like on that but i can live with, like the head rest metal looked like zink metal versus chrome.... Don't get me wrong, i have owned nothing but fords for over 20 years, had both first gen Gator 97 to the second gen gator 03 ultimate,, but wtf are they doing over there. They took a great SUV like the 03-06 and turned it into the most ugliest thing on the road. I'm not saying that with a few mods you cant turn it into something nicer but man i still cant get to love the style like my 03 :( The Sequoia had many features i wish the Gator had, but the dash design really turned me off just like the 07+ Navigators.... I'm just pointing things out, im sure some will say anything just for the sake of ford but even them people deep inside know that ford is really fokin up!

Head Rest Metal?? Dude, do you get out often? I consider myself picky, but this takes the cake!

Head Rest Metal?? Dude, do you get out often? I consider myself picky, but this takes the cake!

"DUDE! :kissass:" Do i get out often?" Please spare me the i know it all crap, Have you even read my postings? At 206k miles on my 03 as i "have posted" i think i get out enough. So why don't you go look and drive an second gen Navigator/Expedition "DUDE!"! I have driven so many vehicles in my life i cant even begin to show you quality craftsmanship.....

I only pointed out a small detail, at 60k i want the same quality i have in my 03. If one can't express their opinions on this forum then i wont even bother posting.. :backtotopic:

Edited by DAFTEK

"DUDE! :kissass:" Do i get out often?" Please spare me the i know it all crap, Have you even read my postings? At 206k miles on my 03 as i "have posted" i think i get out enough. So why don't you go look and drive an second gen Navigator/Expedition "DUDE!"! I have driven so many vehicles in my life i cant even begin to show you quality craftsmanship.....

I only pointed out a small detail, at 60k i want the same quality i have in my 03. If one can't express their opinions on this forum then i wont even bother posting.. :backtotopic:

If one can't express his opinions about another's perceived neurotic traits then....

I have owned two 2000 Expys, a 91 and 95 Exploder and a 2005 King Ranch F150. I know quality too, and that's why I disagree with the power statement. I know the 07/08 power plant smokes all previous generations in acceleration. It's not fair you suped' yours up and now say, it's not as fast as an 03'.

Considering the Escalade and the Navigator, but while I think the Escalade looks better. It absolutely makes the worst use of space ever in the interior, seems primitive and small in comparison to how the Navigator goes about it. Not to mention Escalade's are everywhere in my area, Navigators are not nearly as common.

The 09 Escalade ordering info is out now and the engine will have active fuel management (the AFM shuts down 4 cylinders in various scenarios).

So, at this point as the 09 Navigator info is yet to be released, I'm very much hoping it will have the new 6.2L. I would imagine any new features/options that were announced for the 09 Expedition will carry over as well.

If one can't express his opinions about another's perceived neurotic traits then....

I have owned two 2000 Expys, a 91 and 95 Exploder and a 2005 King Ranch F150. I know quality too, and that's why I disagree with the power statement. I know the 07/08 power plant smokes all previous generations in acceleration. It's not fair you suped' yours up and now say, it's not as fast as an 03'.

Whatever.... :reading: The 03 engine and the 08 are the same, they both pump out 300hp how can you say the 08 will smoke the 03? Ohh wait yeah the new tranny, please the 6 speed is not magical, the power still comes from the engine. Bottom line is Ford is falling of my list quickly. 300hp for two generations and now they put out the L with the same engine and a hideous design it just shows they don't give a f about costumer loyalty. Anyway i wont get into this argument about power yada yada yada crap. I loved Fords for many years but now i love the greenbacks in my pocket. I will wait until the 09 order list comes out and see what have they done to try and sell them again.

As you can tell from my sig we had a 2004 Navigator. Black, monochrome and might I add the one mean looking SUV. We now have a 2008 white chocolate, limited, monochrome Navigator. Definitely not as tough looking and yes the dash does take some getting used to. However hands down the '08 is much quieter, with a better ride and we get a couple of more mpg to boot.

The leather is a much better quality as is the fit and finish. We have almost 12k on it now and it's going in for it's first warrenty work. It's got a squeaky seat track, weather stripping problem around one door, and a small piece on the back of the steering wheel snapped off. All in all it will be in the shop for maybe one day. Compared to our '04 it was in the shop for I believe 12 visits in the first year for about six weeks. Most of it was because of a bad exhaust. Needless to say quality control is much better.

As for the power, yes it has the same hp, but although I miss the four valve of the '04, there is no way I would give it up for what is in the '08. It's too bad it is just a regular f150 three valve, but mated with the six speed turns it into a much quicker off the line 6000lb plus SUV, and it doesn't need premium fuel like our last one.

The current navi has a much better tone to the exhaust than our last one too, and a heck of a lot better than the GM suv's . If I had my pick, it would be our current Navigator wrapped in the '04 skin, but you can't have the best of both worlds.

DSC00965.jpg

DSC00991-1.jpg

Whatever.... :reading: The 03 engine and the 08 are the same, they both pump out 300hp how can you say the 08 will smoke the 03? Ohh wait yeah the new tranny, please the 6 speed is not magical, the power still comes from the engine. Bottom line is Ford is falling of my list quickly. 300hp for two generations and now they put out the L with the same engine and a hideous design it just shows they don't give a f about costumer loyalty. Anyway i wont get into this argument about power yada yada yada crap. I loved Fords for many years but now i love the greenbacks in my pocket. I will wait until the 09 order list comes out and see what have they done to try and sell them again.

Not magical, but better able to manage the hp. Again, you won't like the 09 as there are not many changes. Maybe a Porsche Cayenne turbo S is a better fit if you are interested in power so much. If 550hp doesn't work then I don't know what will.

o4Navi cant disagree with you there, hands down this is the most quietest not just suv but car i have ever been into. The dash as ugly as it is, it si functional unlike the sequoia. I was also hopping for the new motor but still no luck. :(

Not magical, but better able to manage the hp. Again, you won't like the 09 as there are not many changes. Maybe a Porsche Cayenne turbo S is a better fit if you are interested in power so much. If 550hp doesn't work then I don't know what will.

Buzzforbrains, your user ID says it all! :hysterical:

My Subaru Outback XT 2.5L turbo puts out 250hp stock, changed the up/down/mid pipes, threw in a K&N and a Cobb Acccessport and the damn thing puts out well over 350 now. Ohh yeah, its just a small wagon AWD if you dont know what im talking about :rolleyes: , Now you expect me to pay $60k+ for a truck that weighs twice the Outback if not more since i haven't looked up the numbers. Give me a break. I don't want to race the damn thing, i just want to get on the damn expressway with 7 people and gear in it!!! The L is in bad need of a bigger motor! Period! Now you might consider changing that ID of yours :)

Well, I do have to say at least 400hp would have been nice as to compare with the Escalade...but oh well.

My Subaru Outback XT 2.5L turbo puts out 250hp stock, changed the up/down/mid pipes, threw in a K&N and a Cobb Acccessport and the damn thing puts out well over 350 now. Ohh yeah, its just a small wagon AWD if you dont know what im talking about :rolleyes: , Now you expect me to pay $60k+ for a truck that weighs twice the Outback if not more since i haven't looked up the numbers. Give me a break. I don't want to race the damn thing, i just want to get on the damn expressway with 7 people and gear in it!!! The L is in bad need of a bigger motor! Period! Now you might consider changing that ID of yours :)

No one expects you to pay anything! Why not buy a uhaul trailer and keep your Subu?

Well, I'm sure part of why the Expedition you tested felt slow was because it was the long version, which weighs more than the short version, thus, it'll feel slower.

You could just buy a new Navigator and modify the engine again.

Would 200 or so pounds make that much difference?

Gerneral rule of thumb is that every 100lbs equals a tenth of a second in the quarter mile. So yes, two tenths of a second is enough to effect your "seat of the pants" butt-o-meter.

I just looked and the difference between a '03 Gator and an '08 El Expedition is just five pounds shy of 300. That you would notice, however the funny thing is that the 32valve Navigator engine made the same torque as the current one, but at a higher rpm. Take the '08 Navigator with a lower tourqe curve and a lower first gear and the new one should more that make up the seat of the pants feel.

I have theory. Since we had a '04 Navigator and now a '08, I can tell you that the earlier one made more noise and sounded like it was getting up and going where as our current one is much more muted and and for lack of a better term more refined when under full throttle.

Edited by 04navi

• 5 weeks later...

^ 04navi thanks, i cant agree with you more, you brought an excellent point and one thing that very much impressed me with the new gators was how quiet they wore vs. my 03. I'm sure adding a flexalite e-fan, a pulley, an intake and a programer can help even the L move along much better but still very disappointed that ford is just sitting on their ass and not making any progress. That ecoboost sounds interesting and i sure hope when they revise the new gators they will bring that in along with a much more modern style vs. the old man's 1960's crap design they have come up with since 07 :rip:

I have theory. Since we had a '04 Navigator and now a '08, I can tell you that the earlier one made more noise and sounded like it was getting up and going where as our current one is much more muted and and for lack of a better term more refined when under full throttle.

I can attest to that between our Expedition and driving an 07 as well. Same thing, our 04 sounds like it's working very hard, loud, etc., while the 07/08 is much more muted, etc.. I'm sure the 6-speed has to do with that too though. Also the 07/08s have 300-hp, where our 04 has 260.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Got the 09 Elite 4x4 Vapor Silver with black.

I am loving it because it's new and has the SYNC in it but yet disappointed with the way ford has cut back many of the details my 03 had...

vapor silver black interior is very nice combo ! !

what little details are missing on the 09 ? thanks

Edited by ha paschold

I disagree, there is a lack of power in the new redesign. I have an 07 Expedition and it lacks throttle response and has almost no pick up and go compared to my dads 06 expedition. The engine may have more hp and torque, but the transmission doesnt allow you to get the extra power to the road.