Custom Search

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  LIke most online communities, you must first register to create topics and post replies.
Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Easy fix for when Sync stops working with USB drive.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gmunson

gmunson

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it when I needed it, so I figured I'd post. If you don't want the story, the quick solution is at the bottom.

So, I had a nice, shiny new '08 Edge with the Sync system. I bought a USB thumb drive on which to store all of my music so I don't have to drag my ipod in and out of the car. I loaded up my music, plugged it in, and it worked like clockwork.

Then, a couple days later, it stopped. The voice commands still worked, indexing was working fine, the radio even showed that it was playing my songs with the timer ticking away. But, there was no sound. After I tried everything I could think of (master reset on sync, re-formatting the usb drive, testing it with my ipod- which worked perfectly, testing the usb drive on my computer - which also worked perfectly, etc.) I gave up and called tech support. They told me that it was a known issue (phew), and I would have to take my car into the dealership to have them pull a fuse and replace it. They wouldn't tell me which fuse, or where to find it.

Well, not wanting to take an hour out of my day for a simple problem, I cracked open the instruction manual. It lists fuse #3 (I think 15mA) for Sync. I opened up the fuse box, pulled that fuse, but it was fine. I popped it back in, and figured I'd give it a shot anyway. It WORKED PERFECTLY! It's been a couple days now, and I haven't had another problem.

QUICK SOLUTION:

1. Remove fuse box trim cover (inside the car, just in front of the driver side door, next to the parking brake), by sliding the unlock lever to the right, and then pulling the cover off. (Grab it from the top and pull toward you).

2. Remove the fuse box cover (yeah, there's another one). Squeeze the two latches on either side of the box (hard) and pull off.

3. Locate the proper fuse on the LEFT-MOST COLUMN, THIRD FUSE FROM THE TOP.

4. Use the fuse-grabber-thingy (technical term), that can be found on the inside of the fuse cover to remove the fuse.

5. Pop the fuse back in (make sure it's not blown, mine wasn't).

6. Put back the fuse-grabber-thingy, close both of the covers.

7. That's it! Turn on the car, and your USB drive should be working again.

I hope this helps at least one person, and saves a little time and frustration! Let me know if there are any questions.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   UltimateX

UltimateX

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 164 posts
  • Joined 30-September 07
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Explorer

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

Congratulation, I think you just found the Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Not exactly the most convenient location.

#3 OFFLINE   AO_Stone

AO_Stone

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 11-May 12
  • Current Vehicle:Fiesta '11
  • Interests:FC Dallas

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thank you so much. This repaired my 2011 Fiesta. You would figure that they would have fixed that by now.

#4 OFFLINE   expresspotato

expresspotato

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 368 posts
  • Joined 07-October 12
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Yeah are you serious? So now that a good number of controls are integrated into My Ford Touch then what... BSOD your car?

Edited by expresspotato, 09 October 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   pas4440

pas4440

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 09-November 12
  • Current Vehicle:2009 f-150 supercrew

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Perfect! I have a 2009 F-150. The fuse is located in a different spot. For mine it is the 5 amp 'SYNC' fuse. Removed and reinstalled the fuse and I have sound again!

Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined 28-November 12
  • Current Vehicle:coming soon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

There is an interesting discussion thread over on the Edge "sister site" about restarting the MFT.

http://www.fordedgef...rcing-a-reboot/

#7 OFFLINE   Larry1013

Larry1013

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F350 SD CC 6.2L

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

If you run into a problem with Ford's radion not playing your songs on the USB drive due to licensing info contained within the song, you might need a program like Sound Taxi to convert the songs to remove this internal information.

#8 OFFLINE   J-150

J-150

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

... you just found the Ctrl-Alt-Delete....

well, it IS a Microsoft product

I want a 5.0 equipped Focus

#9 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• Blue Oval Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,320 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Ti (Ruby Red)

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

If you run into a problem with Ford's radion not playing your songs on the USB drive due to licensing info contained within the song, you might need a program like Sound Taxi to convert the songs to remove this internal information.

Or you can burn it to an audio cd (or iso image) and rip it back in.