2007 Expedition runs rough at idle or in park

Badfish

I am losing my mind.

I decided to buy my first ford product, a 2007 Ford Expedition 4x4. I love the looks, suspension, power and features and I decided to choose the expedition over the nissan armada.

After a few days, I noticed that my engine felt like it was missing or idling rough when in park. This seems to get worse the longer I sit. I also noticed that when reving the engine above 5oo rpms to 200rmps, the engine runs rough. Above 2000 rpms, it seems to clear up.

The vibration or rough idling is very subtle, but it seems to get worse. Also, the rough running can happen during a cold start.

I have visited 3 Ford dealers and they have all told me that this is normal. Anyone else have these problems?

Thanks!!!

-----Update:

I talked to a dealer today who seemed to have an actual answer. When I described the issue to him, he mentioned that it was a common complaint among 07 - 08 owners. He explained that Ford had made massive reductions in emissions by circulating exhaust back thru the engine at idle. he explained that this was the cause of the stumble. He also explained that the brand new ones on the lot will not do this until they reach 25-50 miles on them.

Are there any other owners who can comment on this?

Edited by Badfish

I am losing my mind.

I decided to buy my first ford product, a 2007 Ford Expedition 4x4. I love the looks, suspension, power and features and I decided to choose the expedition over the nissan armada.

After a few days, I noticed that my engine felt like it was missing or idling rough when in park. This seems to get worse the longer I sit. I also noticed that when revving the engine above 5oo rpms to 200rmps, the engine runs rough. Above 2000 rpms, it seems to clear up.

The vibration or rough idling is very subtle, but it seems to get worse. Alos, the rough running can happen during a cold start.

I have visited 3 Ford dealers and they have all told me that this is normal. Anyone else have these problems?

Thanks!!!

I think its normal. I know our F150 does something similar at idle.

Badfish - What other types of vehicles have you had? A V8 engine in a full size truck may act differently then a 4 or 6 in a sedan, which could affect your perception of a problem versus natural characteristics. If the engine isn't stalling when idling, or if the whole vehicle isn't shaking due the vibrations you are feeling, then there probably is no problem and it's just a quirk. That said, in the Expeditions I've driven, the engine has seemed very smooth and quiet to me. If the vibrations are strong enough to cause violent shaking of the steering wheel and mirrors, than there may be an engine issue that does need attention. If not, you'll learn to ignore it - like I do with the planes flying over my house.

Badfish - What other types of vehicles have you had? A V8 engine in a full size truck may act differently then a 4 or 6 in a sedan, which could affect your perception of a problem versus natural characteristics. If the engine isn't stalling when idling, or if the whole vehicle isn't shaking due the vibrations you are feeling, then there probably is no problem and it's just a quirk. That said, in the Expeditions I've driven, the engine has seemed very smooth and quiet to me. If the vibrations are strong enough to cause violent shaking of the steering wheel and mirrors, than there may be an engine issue that does need attention. If not, you'll learn to ignore it - like I do with the planes flying over my house.

I have always had V6 SUVs, so you are right that I am not used to V8 engines. Having said that, the Nissan Armada did not have this issue at all. Also, I went back to test drive an 08 and it did not have these issues either. What bothers me is that everyone is saying it is normal.

The experience I had with my 04 Aviator (4.6L DOHC) with rough idle, missing etc turned out to be 2 bad cops (coils). It was initially bad enough for me to take it in but they could not find anything even with a "stress test" so after much arguing I drove it 3K miles more until it was running so badly it went into limp mode. the whole time no check engine light came on... When I took it in the 2nd time and did a ride along with the tech (again) 3 codes came up 1 indicating multiple misfires and then 1 code each for cylinders 2 and 8. The graph showed the coils where only firing at 18 and 20% percent of there capacity. It showed #5 was a little low but the tech said it was not outside specs so he would not be allowed to replace under warranty. I swear I can tell when #5 is being temperamental, it is irritating I have to wait for it to get BAD before they will fix it. As with yours the cops got worse the longer you drove it, was really bad after a heat soak. ie driving for 10-15 min let it rest for 10 min and then driving again. Also run some GOOD gas in it, like Chevron or another top tier gas, it really does make a difference. See if that helps at all. If it does not my bet is on cops.

1) Try a different dealer. 2) if you stick with the same dealer, ask to talk to the service manager. Explain to him nicely that other Expeditions don't do this, etc. 3) call the 1-800 number in you manual and log your complaint to Ford.

FWIW, I get a bit of a stumble when revving the engine in neutral to 2000 or just a hair under. I talked to a number of Ford techs and they say this is normal. The engine will also stall at 3200 or so when revving it in neutral. But the truck shouldn't shake sitting in park, or vibrate that much.

I like the word you used (stumble). That is what it feels like. Most of the time, the stumble is subtle. other times, it feels too strong for a new truck.

FYI - I have been to 3 dealers who all have said "I have seen worse" This makes it hard to diagnose.

I like the word you used (stumble). That is what it feels like. Most of the time, the stumble is subtle. other times, it feels too strong for a new truck.

FYI - I have been to 3 dealers who all have said "I have seen worse" This makes it hard to diagnose.

You going to keep your expy?

keep in mind, my ford has 162,000 on it and runs great. Im sure that ol 5.4 will last you along time once the problem is fixed.

You going to keep your expy?

keep in mind, my ford has 162,000 on it and runs great. Im sure that ol 5.4 will last you along time once the problem is fixed.

I want to keep it, I really do. The big question is WILL they fix it?

I really don't want to spend my weeks catching rides or renting a car while my new truck is being repaired. It sucks when they keep your truck for 3 days only to tell you that the problem is "normal".

I sure wish some 07-08 owners would chime in and let me know if they have noticed this problem.

I really don't want to spend my weeks catching rides or renting a car while my new truck is being repaired. It sucks when they keep your truck for 3 days only to tell you that the problem is "normal".

I sure wish some 07-08 owners would chime in and let me know if they have noticed this problem.

Try a can of Dry Gas just to make sure its not in the fuel; its cheep and easy.

My Dad, has an '08, not sure if it does this or not. Ironically he had an Armada and moved to the Expy, I know he couldnt be happier.

Hang in there I'm sure something will work out.

Try a can of Dry Gas just to make sure its not in the fuel; its cheep and easy.

My Dad, has an '08, not sure if it does this or not. Ironically he had an Armada and moved to the Expy, I know he couldnt be happier.

Hang in there I'm sure something will work out.

Another idea is to request a engineer come out and examine the car. I had two come out to figure out my brake problem. The second time they found the problem. Do you have a good mechanic friend that can look at it and give you his opinion?

How bad is the vibration at idle? Can you describe it more in detail?

Maybe post a message at flatratetech.com, Ford techs there might be able to give you more insight.

Edited by Buzzforbrains

Another idea is to request a engineer come out and examine the car. I had two come out to figure out my brake problem. The second time they found the problem. Do you have a good mechanic friend that can look at it and give you his opinion?

How bad is the vibration at idle? Can you describe it more in detail?

Maybe post a message at flatratetech.com, Ford techs there might be able to give you more insight.

I don't have any friends who are mechanics. This is a good idea.

THe vibration is not horrible, but is noticable. Given the fact that the Expedition is so smooth and quiet, the vibration seems to be more noticable. It is a subtle shake or stumble that makes it feel like the truck is not running right. It does this at idle, and a acceleration from 600 rpms to 2000. After 2000, it calms down.

I am going to take a look at that flatratetech.com. I just want to get this solved so I can go back to enoying my truck. New cars are supposed to be fun :(

I don't have any friends who are mechanics. This is a good idea.

THe vibration is not horrible, but is noticable. Given the fact that the Expedition is so smooth and quiet, the vibration seems to be more noticable. It is a subtle shake or stumble that makes it feel like the truck is not running right. It does this at idle, and a acceleration from 600 rpms to 2000. After 2000, it calms down.

I am going to take a look at that flatratetech.com. I just want to get this solved so I can go back to enoying my truck. New cars are supposed to be fun :(

Have you let someone else drive or ride along with you and see if they can feel it? If so a service manager should be able to ride along with you and feel this. I bet it is a bad COP(coil on plug) or two.

A while back I used to feel a stumble sitting at a light but I haven't had that problem. As for a slight vibration I am not a good one to answer this since I have after market flow master so I do have a vibration from the exhaust. Like everyone else has suggested, request the manager or shop foreman to drive with you or get a Ford engineer.

Have you let someone else drive or ride along with you and see if they can feel it? If so a service manager should be able to ride along with you and feel this. I bet it is a bad COP(coil on plug) or two.

I did have the service manager ride in it. He felt the stumble and agreed that it did not seem normal. Three days later, he completely changed his mind.

He also mentioned that they checked the coils. Ofcourse, I am not sure about his credibility at this point.

I need to find a dealer who will help me.

I did have the service manager ride in it. He felt the stumble and agreed that it did not seem normal. Three days later, he completely changed his mind.

He also mentioned that they checked the coils. Ofcourse, I am not sure about his credibility at this point.

I need to find a dealer who will help me.

Yes, you do.

I spoke with a Ford rep today. This was an absolute waste of time. The only function these people serve is to call the dealer and to reiterate information that has already been given.

My truck still shakes at idle and in park or nuetral. I am running out of options here.

Any owners of 07 or an 08 who are going thru this???

I spoke with a Ford rep today. This was an absolute waste of time. The only function these people serve is to call the dealer and to reiterate information that has already been given.

My truck still shakes at idle and in park or nuetral. I am running out of options here.

Any owners of 07 or an 08 who are going thru this???

I own a 08 Eddie Bauer... I can only notice a very slight, distant stumble when idling in Park or Neutral (without load), but nothing when idling in "D" selection. For me this is normal; my previous cars did the same. Pls note that I have the Middle East spec Expedition (330bhp 5.4L), but I assume they are all the same.

Ewald Busser

Edited by busser

I own a 08 Eddie Bauer... I can only notice a very slight, distant stumble when idling in Park or Neutral (without load), but nothing when idling in "D" selection. For me this is normal; my previous cars did the same. Pls note that I have the Middle East spec Expedition (330bhp 5.4L), but I assume they are all the same.

Ewald Busser

Thank you for the update.

After spending a few more weeks with the truck, I notice that somedays it stumbles worse than others. At startup, it stumbles quite a bit, then levels off. Last night, I was in drive but I was stopped at a drive thru and I noticed a slight stumble even then.

There has to be a way to at the very least improve this. My 07 feels like an old beater.

Thank you for the update.

After spending a few more weeks with the truck, I notice that somedays it stumbles worse than others. At startup, it stumbles quite a bit, then levels off. Last night, I was in drive but I was stopped at a drive thru and I noticed a slight stumble even then.

There has to be a way to at the very least improve this. My 07 feels like an old beater.

It would work on my nerves as well if I had that problem like you describe; I hope you find the solution quickly. I enjoy my Expedition every minute; and hope you get to enjoy it too.......

Ewald Busser

Edited by busser

• 1 year later...

I'm having the rough idle and transmission slipping feeling now with my '08 Expedition. Did Ford ever solve your problem?

• 1 month later...

65,000 miles on my 07 limited never a issue