Hyundai's Hunt for distinctive design

robertlane

Oh I woudln't say Sonata missed the mark at all. While fairly bland, the design is unexpectedly sophisticated for a Korean manufacturer. The design evokes the impression of Japanese build quality with some smart design details to help enhance a fairly neutral design. I saw one in the parking lot the other day and I was very impressed

Also, Hyundai's quality has made huge strides with the Sonata earning the top spot on some surveys (J.D. Power is one of them). I think Hyundai deserves a lot of credit for its ambition and success.

Oh I woudln't say Sonata missed the mark at all. While fairly bland, the design is unexpectedly sophisticated for a Korean manufacturer. The design evokes the impression of Japanese build quality with some smart design details to help enhance a fairly neutral design. I saw one in the parking lot the other day and I was very impressed

Also, Hyundai's quality has made huge strides with the Sonata earning the top spot on some surveys (J.D. Power is one of them). I think Hyundai deserves a lot of credit for its ambition and success.

The keyword is distinctive, and while the Hyundai may look clean and crisp the back of it looks entirely too much like the old rear end of the Accord (albeit better). That's not what I calld distinctive.

As I recall back in 1996 when Ford tried to be distinctive, they re-did the Taurus and people were horrified! The Hyundai designers did what many do by copying a successful existing look. And you said yourself, they did a better job that the original. Nuttin wrong widdat!

As I recall back in 1996 when Ford tried to be distinctive, they re-did the Taurus and people were horrified! The Hyundai designers did what many do by copying a successful existing look. And you said yourself, they did a better job that the original. Nuttin wrong widdat!

Ya mean somethin' like this?

"The Audi in turn influenced the Ford Taurus, an American made sedan from 1986."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_5000

1985 Audi

audi5000.jpg

1986 Ford Taurus

olio_1105473969_ford_1986taurus.jpg

And for the record... I *liked* the '86 Taurus when it came out!!!

-Ovaltine

When did I say something was wrong with it? All I'm pointing out is taking something of your own, and making some sort of cohesive design out of it.