International Ford Ranger: did they redo it?

Roadrunner

The Thai Ranger I saw was much less truck-like. Perhaps they redid it.

Why yes they did: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-unveils-2...n-thailand.html

I was thinking of the cheaper-looking 2002 Ranger:

http://www.thaicarpost.com/poto/0001612.jpg

http://gam.boo.jp/blog/images/ford_ranger_2002_02_m.jpg

ah yes .. the Thai Ranger was released about a year and some ago and is not the "global" ranger - everywhere but Americas. However it is still the same size and frame as our Ranger - just a new body.

Australia is working on a ground up new global truck we are to get as well .. supposedly.

Igor

I was looking at

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServ...4&c=DFYPage

and I thought, "that looks a lot different than the Thai Ranger that's been kicked around here"

What's going on? Because that International Ranger sold in Oz could make for an alright compact truck here. It happens to be built by Mazda, mind you.

They look the same to me.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-unveils-2...n-thailand.html

There's a high chance the US will get the upcoming new Ranger from SA, which is also based on the new one.

Good to hear. I was worried for a sec. :)

Can't have you suing Ford Australia for mental anguish - you'd probably win!

Insiders are hinting T6 Truck variant looks great

and yeah , I know it sounds like another "Mullally eyes water" comment.

You just have to trust that things are progressing and a good Ranger is key to Ford Globally.

They're predicting near 400,000 sales globally when up and running.

Edited by jpd80

Good to hear. I was worried for a sec. :)

most other countries handle their sexuality with a lot more levity than the eternally politically correct States......the only reason anyone would get upset about something as trivial as that would be if they weren't comfortable with / or questioned their own......

The "new" Thai Ranger is just a heavily facelifted old Ranger .. both are called J97s the new one is J97U and the old is J97P or M

In any case, as Igor stated, the next Ranger will bow in 2010 as a 2011 model and will be built confirmed so far at AutoAlliance Thailand and Pacheco Argentina.

Powertrains need to be improved, both diesel and gas. I believe that only a 2.5L DOHC Mazda gas engine is planned, I haven't heard anything regarding V6s. In South Africa, it is built as CKD with the cologne 4.0L

Next year, the J97 is slated for a minor face lift, as it hasn't been well received, especially in the tough Thai market.

I have had experience with NA Rangers, Argentinean Rangers and Thai Rangers. The Thai ones, hold up the best. They are a lot simpler, and perhaps under powered, but build quality is amazing and they take a lot of abuse.

If Ford wanted the current Ranger to sell in droves, it need/needed a diesel. Then advertise the ever loving shit out of it. The Ranger could tow 7,000 pounds with a small 3.0 liter diesel that puts out 200-220 HP and 350-375 pound feet of torque. I would buy one brand freaking new, tomorrow, if they made it.

And Ford would make money hand over fist because the Ranger has been the same for...what...15-20 years?

If Ford wanted the current Ranger to sell in droves, it need/needed a diesel. Then advertise the ever loving shit out of it. The Ranger could tow 7,000 pounds with a small 3.0 liter diesel that puts out 200-220 HP and 350-375 pound feet of torque. I would buy one brand freaking new, tomorrow, if they made it.

And Ford would make money hand over fist because the Ranger has been the same for...what...15-20 years?

Ford has just hat kind of engine coming - a 3.0l V6 Diesel.

Pray to whoever you pray to that we will get it.

Igor

Thai Ranger currently has 2.5TDI and 3.0 TDI 4 cylinders.

I would suspect that the Duratec 35 and a 3.0 TDI V6 will get the nod.

A correctly sized TDI is going to give great fuel economy and 1980s V8 style low end power.

Current 3.0L has 163HP and 380 Nm, which not to bad but not enough for the US or to compete in Thailand

400,000 global sales? Today, the Thai plant has about 125K output (for the Ranger and about 80K for the BT50 Mazda variant) and Pacheco has about 50K capacity. There is also space for the Everest SUV based of the platfor in Thai, which is today at about 22K

I don't know how theyll reach 400K...

the 3.5 Duratec sounds good, almost too good... Probably US, Aus and NZ only...

the 400K figure was in the official Ford comunique last year.

You also forgot India, where Ranger and Endeavour (Everest) is also sold.

On those figures I'd say the US might get a variant, silly to have two platforms

and anyway, Mulally won't allow it in the first place.

post-735-1130015892.jpg

the 400K figure was in the official Ford comunique last year.

You also forgot India, where Ranger and Endeavour (Everest) is also sold.

On those figures I'd say the US might get a variant, silly to have two platforms

and anyway, Mulally won't allow it in the first place.

you're right about the official news... however, the SA, Vietnam, Indian and Colombia plants receive CKD kits from Thailand and as far as I know the Thai plant is at full capacity...