2000-2002 RUST problems

Indystang

I have a question for anyone in the paint shop. I have a 2001 Super Duty that has a bad case of rust on the left(drivers side) rear fender. It started out last year as a little bubble in the paint. Now I can put my finger through it. Now I have bubbles showing up on the right side as well. I took it to a friends body shop and his jaw about hit the floor. He said I need a whole new bed. He said he could put new sides on the bed, but a new bed would be cheaper and he was right about that. He had just fixed another Super Duty with the same problem that week. I work at the Indy Plant and we have a lot of Super Duty's in the parking lot. I have spotted several more with the exact same rust. Left side being the worst on all of them. I have talked to a few people about their rust and asked what year their Super Duty is. Looks like it is 2000-2002's. Was there a problem with the e-coat those years? I also ran into a Doctor who was an Engineer in the paint shop at KTP during those years. He seemed like he didn't want to talk about it. Also the new bed has a plate that says "GAS" on it. My Super Duty is a Diesel. Is the only difference between the two beds the filler neck? My brother bought a new Superduty in 99 and it had the "gas" filler neck in it. It was his first diesel and he didn't realize the difference. He hard a hard time filling the tank up. LOL. He still loves the Super Duty's. He had a 99,02,05, and a bought an 08 King Ranch a few months ago. I would buy a new one if I knew what our future was here in Indy. Keep up the good work Brothers and Sisters! You make a great truck!

• 7 months later...
I have a question for anyone in the paint shop. I have a 2001 Super Duty that has a bad case of rust on the left(drivers side) rear fender. It started out last year as a little bubble in the paint. Now I can put my finger through it. Now I have bubbles showing up on the right side as well. I took it to a friends body shop and his jaw about hit the floor. He said I need a whole new bed. He said he could put new sides on the bed, but a new bed would be cheaper and he was right about that. He had just fixed another Super Duty with the same problem that week. I work at the Indy Plant and we have a lot of Super Duty's in the parking lot. I have spotted several more with the exact same rust. Left side being the worst on all of them. I have talked to a few people about their rust and asked what year their Super Duty is. Looks like it is 2000-2002's. Was there a problem with the e-coat those years? I also ran into a Doctor who was an Engineer in the paint shop at KTP during those years. He seemed like he didn't want to talk about it. Also the new bed has a plate that says "GAS" on it. My Super Duty is a Diesel. Is the only difference between the two beds the filler neck? My brother bought a new Superduty in 99 and it had the "gas" filler neck in it. It was his first diesel and he didn't realize the difference. He hard a hard time filling the tank up. LOL. He still loves the Super Duty's. He had a 99,02,05, and a bought an 08 King Ranch a few months ago. I would buy a new one if I knew what our future was here in Indy. Keep up the good work Brothers and Sisters! You make a great truck!

I have a 2002 F250 with the same thing happening. I thought these are made of galvanized steel?

I have a 2002 F-550. Strangest thing, it has rust in the roof. Started as a small bubble in the paint, now it's about .50" around. Right in the middle too, not around a window or a seem. BTW- this truck has spent it's whole life in Southern California.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey all, i have the same problem with my 2000 f250. also on my cab corners!!! :censored:

Edited by tommythetech

I have a 2002 F-550. Strangest thing, it has rust in the roof. Started as a small bubble in the paint, now it's about .50" around. Right in the middle too, not around a window or a seem. BTW- this truck has spent it's whole life in Southern California.

Sad. This is obviously a quality problem (dirt).

I haven't looked at any E-Series trucks lately, but the quality of the paint on the roof was abysmal ! Orange peel, chunks of dirt, etc. But hey, only Shaq would notice it !

• 1 year later...

I ALSO HAVE AN 2002 SUPERDUTY RUSTOUT BED, IT STARTED AS A BUBBLE IN THE PAINT THEN BLEW THROUGH, AFTER LOOKING UNDERNEATH AND UP INTO WELL I NOTICED FOAM INSERTS BETWEEN THE PANELS ! LIKE SPACERS OF SOME SORT THAT WERE NOT REMOVED AFTER FABRICATION. THE OTHERSIDE DID NOT HAVE THESE THERE AND THERE IS NO RUST AT ALL. THINK THESE HELD IN ALL THE ROAD CHEMICALS AND FAILED ALL MY UNDERBODY WASHES I PERFORMED !! GUESS WHAT FO--- SAYS............................?? MY DEALER ANYWAYS

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem with my 2002 I was month and a half until my warranty for the body ran out. I got Ford to pay for the one side of the truck with 10% out of my pocket. The other side did the same thing with a half a month left and could not get it fixed. I sold the truck after that in December of 2007. The dealer are aware of the problems and I find it hard to believe Ford does not. My salesman that sold me the new truck has pictures of another customers truck that had the same thing and when he is asked by district reps if there is anything they should look at he pulls out the photos everytime and they just kind of glance over them. I even had the truck rustproof with no help. I carried the case as high up as I could go. The body shop and I fought it until I was threatened by Ford if I did not say I was satsfied with the fix of the one side. I was threatened that they would take the side that was paid for away and I would be left with all costs. From best I can tell the company would paid for X dollar amount and not more. To fix the rust properly it costs $1500 per side. The warranty reads that the rust must be all the way through and there must be a hole in the vehicle for them to fix it. The warranty on the body is good for 5 years and no more than that. Good luck. I hope this truck doesnt do the same.

yeah this is very very common ...my aunt had a 00 F-150 and the bottoms of her doors rotted right through after about 5-6 years...still has the truck and had the doors redone but it's starting to bubble again (the truck IS 9 years old though so what can you expect!). My cousin has a 99 F-150 reg cab that he bought new and has waxed 2-3 times a year since new...strange thing is, not an ounce of rust anywhere but the paint on his roof has completely peeled off ...only on the roof though, weird. Finally my uncle has an 02 F-150 extended cab long bed...waxed twice a year since he bought it new and again ....bottoms of the doors rotted right out after the third year ...Ford fixed under the corrosion warranty no problem but now it is starting to rust again and no more warranty. It seems to be hit or miss...great friggin trucks though, run like a tank!

• 1 month later...

I'm one that also believes in having vehicles rust proofed. Just got a NTM 07 a couple of months ago. Had it Ziebarted last weekend. Also have a 97 I had done back in 99 when I bought it. No rust on the 97 except for where a shop (trying to be nice and power washed it) blew through the paint on the drivers side in one spot. I've treated it with "Rust Bullet" to try and keep rust from developing prior to getting paint work done.

I really believe in rust proofing, I've had vehicles 15-20 years old that were rock solid (body wise) with no rust at all.

Edited by hcbph

• 2 weeks later...

my 2002 started to rust the same way i was pissed went to my dealer which i would not trust to paint any thing b/c of past problems with hagerstown ford body shop but thats another story they said sorry the hole is not big enough but when it is your out of warrenty any way by 4 months so i called ford thinking they had some sort of customer service like chevy does like to get the parts ot cost or something like that they said sorry your out of warrenty so i ask for his boss and so on and so on same answer all of them it was like a broken record so now im going to pay 3,000 out of my pocket to have new bed sides put on and the damm foam is not goin back in thats what is causing all of this some damm enginere desinged this to purposly rust i mean come on why would you use foam between the bed panels knowing it will get wet and hold moister and rust you pay 45,000 for a truck u expect it to atleast make it 10 or 15 yrs with out and rust but only to make it 5.5 yrs b 4 it starts to rust is redicoulos i can promiss u this this will be my last frod im done with this my wife has an explorer now im getting her a tahoe my dad has a 1999 f350 and my mom has a expedition we were all ford family but not any more that is is chevy is aloud to make trucks under the new admistration i mean i still love my 2002 f250super duty crew cab short bed diesle but im just mad about all of this its like when the ball joints left at 37,000 miles same thing ford said we dont know of any problems with this and a friend of mine is a ford mechanic and said thats bs b/c he has replaced alot of them under warentey it seems like they want your busniness but when u need something in return it like an insurance company sorry

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best thing you can do on the Super Duties is use something like Fluid Film yearly on the bed rails where the two pieces of steel are sandwhiched together at the frame mount points, also the wheel wheels do have drain holes now which you can use to load up with Fluid Film.