Bring Back The Thunderbird (Mustang derived)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, (I hadn't see that Bird) it was the Mark X prototype to showcase fure design elements. The interior is a dead ringer for the MKZ, and the grill was used on the MKX SUV.

DEAR GOD MAN! WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT THIS EARLIER!

WOW, that is a pretty machine! I have never heard of it before! Do the baby boomers know about it?

Or has Ford-Lincoln managed to keep it secret? That thing is beautiful! Gosh darnit why won't they build it?!

I found this neat little article on the Lincoln Mark X (that's Mark Ten): Serious Wheels Lincoln Mark X article with fabo pics

2004-Lincoln-Marx-X-Concept-lightning-bolts-1280x960.jpg

WOW, that is a pretty machine! I have never heard of it before! Do the baby boomers know about it?

Or has Ford-Lincoln managed to keep it secret? That thing is beautiful! Gosh darnit why won't they build it?!

I found this neat little article on the Lincoln Mark X (that's Mark Ten): Serious Wheels Lincoln Mark X article with fabo pics

Forget that is a Lincoln concept for five minutes and remember that the 1961 Continental with the bladed fenders and chrome through trim was originally a formal Thunderbird proposal... Tbirds and Lincolns were always closely related. The Mark X concept would have made a nice new Bullet Bird with some modifcations. Even the Mark X concept as is would have been a nice restyle and next progression for a Thunderbird.

Now where is that picture I made of the Tbird 427 Coupe?

thunderbirdrear3.jpg

Modified just for you... I made the taillamps full width and removed the bird emblem from the C pillar....

Imagine wall to wall LED taillamps, optionally programmed from the dash to be sequential or not...

I'm glad you liked the clip.

As far your 'chop, goes.... I think it's BITCHEN! What did your original rendition look like?

That's the first one I've seen so far that's heading in the direction that I think the 'Bird should go.

The clean C-pillar and taillights are sweet.... and I like your idea of the selectable/programmable LED taillights. What a cool way of using modern technology. I wonder if the taillight matrix could include a few blue LED's to create the famous Blue-Dot "purple" taillights?

The front fender vents might be debateable, but I'm flexible. Maybe a modern version of the infamous new "fender nostril" trend could be cooked up to give the car a current touch?

Anyone from Ford on here listening to this conversation?????

-Ovaltine

P.S. Don't forget that the next version has to have a barkin' V8 in it, with a possible supercharger option!

Edited by Ovaltine

As far your 'chop, goes.... I think it's BITCHEN! What did your original rendition look like?

That's the first one I've seen so far that's heading in the direction that I think the 'Bird should go.

The clean C-pillar and taillights are sweet.... and I like your idea of the selectable/programmable LED taillights. What a cool way of using modern technology. I wonder if the taillight matrix could include a few blue LED's to create the famous Blue-Dot "purple" taillights?

The front fender vents might be debateable, but I'm flexible. Maybe a modern version of the infamous new "fender nostril" trend could be cooked up to give the car a current touch?

-Ovaltine

P.S. Don't forget that the next version has to have a barkin' V8 in it, with a possible supercharger option!

Believe me, Ford is listening. The problem is, none of these proposals has an associated business case.

Believe me, Ford is listening. The problem is, none of these proposals has an associated business case.

I understand that with the sales tanking the way they are, Ford's looking for as many "high(er) volume" hits as they can. A Thunderbird like we're describing here may not fit that criteria.

But.... I have to say that it is just such a NON-COMMODITY vehicle like the picture above that may get me back into a Ford dealer to buy.

Build such a car, and price it right, and it could be 1977 all over again!!!!!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ford-thunderbird4.htm

"Downsizing the T-Bird this way was expedient given that Washington's new corporate average fuel economy standards (CAFE) would be in force for 1978. But it was that much lower price and the Thunderbird name that sent sales soaring; better fuel efficiency was merely incidental. T-Bird thus enjoyed 300,000-unit years for 1977 and '78, better than three times the previous model-year record set in distant 1960.."

-Ovaltine

-Ovaltine

Anything is possible using LED lamps. I would cetainly be sure the next Tbird had LED lamps in the front and for sidemarker lights too. It's just a modern element that looks high tech.

Anyway with the programable LED taillamps you could make a message board out of them lke some of those new roadside billoards... LOL! Imagine the sheer ricer tackiness of the words FORD THUNDERBIRD scrolling up and then fading away or trasitioning into a giant Tbird emblem across the back.

Okay, we will leave it to just sequential turn signals.... Howeve I am not sure the blue dots would pass federal regulations being a factory option since blue lighting is typically reserved for law enforcement vehicles. I never got the whole blue dot thing anyway even when people had them on classic vehicles...

post-10-1186246130_thumb.jpg

post-10-1186246140_thumb.jpg

post-10-1186246185_thumb.jpg

post-10-1186246198_thumb.jpg

post-10-1186246208_thumb.jpg

post-10-1186246246_thumb.jpg

post-10-1186246261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Watchdevil

Anything is possible using LED lamps. I would cetainly be sure the next Tbird had LED lamps in the front and for sidemarker lights too. It's just a modern element that looks high tech.

Anyway with the programable LED taillamps you could make a message board out of them lke some of those new roadside billoards... LOL! Imagine the sheer ricer tackiness of the words FORD THUNDERBIRD scrolling up and then fading away or trasitioning into a giant Tbird emblem across the back.

Okay, we will leave it to just sequential turn signals.... Howeve I am not sure the blue dots would pass federal regulations being a factory option since blue lighting is typically reserved for law enforcement vehicles. I never got the whole blue dot thing anyway even when people had them on classic vehicles...

How about this?

Maybe Ford has already made the next Thunderbird and they dont know it yet.

post-28332-1186292004_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1186292014_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1186292022_thumb.jpg

I love that car!

XLR competitor anyone?

Edited by rmc523

I love that car!

XLR competitor anyone?

I would buy that over the Caddy for sure... Now that Ford's Premier Luxury brands are being sold off they need to align Lincoln closer to at least Cadillac. What made Lincolns special in the past was the specialty cars with an air of exclusitivity... Of course Lincoln's "high volume" car was the Continental/Town Car of the day with the Mark Series being the most special. Now it's competeing with Asian luxury imports and Cadillacs sedans in higher volumes, but there are no specialty models that keep or attract sales to the Lincoln brand much less to FoMoCo in general. Lincoln needs to make vehicles that attract it to the brand while also giving people a reason to consider them as something other than being just on par with the general competition. Lincoln's unique image and style is what needs work, not being just barely adequate brand equivalents of run of the mill Lexus, Acura and Infiniti models...

How about this?

Maybe Ford has already made the next Thunderbird and they dont know it yet.

The style of the Forty-Nine concept cannot appropriately be a Thunderbird. The original 1949 Ford existed before the Thunderbrd came out. A Thunderbird is identified and defined by it's first inception of style and all the sucessive models. Therefore, if a vehicle was made like the Forty-Nine it would have to stand on the nameplate Forty-Nine or a classic one it used during the 1949 model year. Using a nameplate like Thunderbird on a style of vehicle that proceeded it's use would be as silly as applying the Mustang name to a car that resembled a 1939 Ford.

As wonderful as the Forty-Nine concept is, it would find limited appeal like the 2002-05 Thunderbird as just a retro cruiser. When after all the people that want them buy them there will probably not be enough sales to keep it in production for many model years. Ford's thing now is making vehicles in volumes that will sustain consistant sales over many years and also allow for sucessive updates and redesigns as a vehicles that should be a permanent fixture in the Ford lineup always and forever, like the Mustang is now. The challenge now is finding the right formula for a successive Thunderbird while restoring it as a permanent staple to the Ford lineup where it should always be.

So we are paired down to these possibilities:

A small 2-seat roadster, a four seat coupe and convertible either as a Mustang derivative or next size larger, or a sedan/quad coupe configuration that can be an alternative to a Mustang in image, style and performance while offering rear seat passenger room and a larger trunk. The problem with Ford now is they either consider things for Ford or Lincoln instead of sucessful formulas of the past like the Thunderbird/Cougar or Thunderbird/Mark Series teams that market Baskin Robbins choices of flavor while still selling what people want, ice cream (a choice of individual style Thunderbird or Lincoln).

Right now there is room for Mustang derivatives that are upscale alternatives for those who wold not consider the Mustang or don't care to identify with it. I do remember back in the 1970's how people percieved the Cougar as something luxurious and special without thinking of it as a Mustang. It's big luxury car styling and appointments made an impression.

Lincoln could use something sporty and luxurious that is fun to drive and very personal in style. There is still something to be said for coupes providing a personal image that sedans can't. That is why there are coupes still made like the ones made by BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda, etc. If the coupe market is so dead then how come they still offer them, high volume models or not. The demise of the Thunderbird and Monte Carlo four seat coupes are attributed to two things: The shift to sedans and the fact that they were never updated and restyled to compete with high volume sedans that were more frequently updated with newer style and better content. Same old coupes, new style sedans.. People tend to choose something different and new as opposed to the all-too familar. That is the mistake Ford even made with the Taurus.

Anyway, Ford's only business case is to make sedans and SUV's.. Nevermind anything else.. Ford is saying to me you can have any indivually expressive enthusiast vehicle you want as long as it is a Mustang... Not unlike the Model T days when you could have any color you wanted as long as it was black. People have to go to non-Ford brands to find what they want. The difference now is that people who would have stayed with the Ford brand are lost to other brands and chances are if the other brand made an impression with what they offered they are more likely to stay with that brand.

Niches to fill:

A family of truly global economical but fashionable, versatile and affordable high quality suprise and delight featured small cars in 2door hatchback, 4-door sedan and high roof 5-door "wagon/people mover" passenger models. This also includes a true GTI competitor.

A globally aligned Fusion/Mondeo team.

A luxury alternative to a Mustang with a Mercury Cougar as coupe only, and a Lincoln variant as a premium roadster only with a fully retractable hardtop. This could also be twinned as a Thundrbird model to restore and preserve the marque.

A large RWD 4-door sedan performance sedan with optional AWD which could be the NA version of the next generation Falcon platform. Competition Zeta Impala and Charger. This could also spawn the Lincoln MKR luxury derivative and future replacements for the Taurus/Sable/MKS and Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car.

I would buy that over the Caddy for sure... Now that Ford's Premier Luxury brands are being sold off they need to align Lincoln closer to at least Cadillac. What made Lincolns special in the past was the specialty cars with an air of exclusitivity... Of course Lincoln's "high volume" car was the Continental/Town Car of the day with the Mark Series being the most special. Now it's competeing with Asian luxury imports and Cadillacs sedans in higher volumes, but there are no specialty models that keep or attract sales to the Lincoln brand much less to FoMoCo in general. Lincoln needs to make vehicles that attract it to the brand while also giving people a reason to consider them as something other than being just on par with the general competition. Lincoln's unique image and style is what needs work, not being just barely adequate brand equivalents of run of the mill Lexus, Acura and Infiniti models...

Agree 100%

For those that think there is no business case for a Thunderbird & Mark X, I ask you to consider the millions of baby boomers who recently (post 9/11) are willing to try American again. Especially vehicles with top-notch powertrains and better warranties.

Many baby boomers are middle class+ & empty nesters already. Many already have regular cars and are ready for something more personal & luxurious. I say the Thunderbird & Mark X are perfect for this market.

Nearly half of the Corvettes, SLKs, SCs, Miatas & Z4s I see are being driven by older adults. Combined with us Gen Xers that happen to think the T-Birds are worthy, I think Ford would do well to bring back the Legend. Just this time don't make the same mistake as the 02-05' T-Bird i.e. too expensive and skimpy on the luxury & performance. Making them using the Mustang platform, with its higher beltline for ease of ingress, would be an economical starting point.

messengerbird.jpg

Positioned as a sophiticated personal luxury performance sport convertible more upscale than what a Mustang has to offer...

I cleaned up the vertical strakes in the headlamps, put a Bird emblem on the coffin nose (Which now can be interpeted as a beak but also Thunderbirds used to have coffin noses from 1969 to 1976) and eliminated the steel roof to make it a convertible. Since the Messenger is a wasted concept I am leaving the split grille intakes, coffin nose and deeply sculpted bodysides and fender extractors as is. Thinking about the 1990's Tbirds that used the horizontal browed headlamps, body colored nose section and split lower intakes, I translate this as an evolution from those themes.

1960-f3q.jpg

1963-f3q.jpg

1965-f3q.jpg

1967-landau.jpg

1970-f3q.jpg

1986-f3q.jpg

1992-f3q.jpg

1991-f3q.jpg

09358010.jpg

Working on the idea that a Continental used a Thunderbird proposal in 1961, and the fact that the Thunderbird borrowed the Mark VII concept styling in 1983 with a few modifications, I decided to work with the idea of the Messenger concept actually becoming the next Tbird. Think Mustang platform with a bullet nose that does recall early 60's Tbirds as well as some 1990's models while sharing no exterior panels with a Mustang. Try to think of this as if the Messenger concept was never shown as a Mercury, but instead a Thunderbird.

Forget literal interpetations of fender vents from the Tbird's past. Using the Messenger design it is bolder and more purposeful looking and complements the Mustang "C" scoop but in reverse. No slab sides here.

The rumoured retractable top for an upcoming Mustang makes it's appearance here instead leaving the Mustang traditionally witout a retractable top. If you want the retractable top buy the Tbird. Also, there is a body colored tonneau cover I would include reminiscent of the early 60's Tbird sports roadster which actually retains the back seats. So yes a four seater, but emphasis on a two seater look. The portholes stay in the past as the retractable hardtop is reminscent only of blind rear quarters with no windows.

The rear would somewhat mirror the front with either matching dual pod taillamps or modified to a classic full width theme.

My idea for the interior is something that looks like an updated version of the 1960-63 models, the theme carried by the dual cockpit instument panel and flowing console. No black rubbermaid blocks in here. Contrasting and complementary interior colors here... No rental car look. Black where it should be and none where it should not be. High quality appliques for dash and console trim. Also the return of the bird wing inside door panel theme that is integral with the hoizontal trim on the dash.

Powertrains... use your imagination. Whatever a Mustang can be the Tbird can be as well...

Edited by Watchdevil

messengerbird.jpg

Positioned as a sophiticated personal luxury performance sport convertible more upscale than what a Mustang has to offer...

I cleaned up the vertical strakes in the headlamps, put a Bird emblem on the coffin nose (Which now can be interpeted as a beak but also Thunderbirds used to have coffin noses from 1969 to 1976) and eliminated the steel roof to make it a convertible. Since the Messenger is a wasted concept I am leaving the split grille intakes, coffin nose and deeply sculpted bodysides and fender extractors as is. Thinking about the 1990's Tbirds that used the horizontal browed headlamps, body colored nose section and split lower intakes, I translate this as an evolution from those themes.

Working on the idea that a Continental used a Thunderbird proposal in 1961, and the fact that the Thunderbird borrowed the Mark VII concept styling in 1983 with a few modifications, I decided to work with the idea of the Messenger concept actually becoming the next Tbird. Think Mustang platform with a bullet nose that does recall early 60's Tbirds as well as some 1990's models while sharing no exterior panels with a Mustang. Try to think of this as if the Messenger concept was never shown as a Mercury, but instead a Thunderbird.

Forget literal interpetations of fender vents from the Tbird's past. Using the Messenger design it is bolder and more purposeful looking and complements the Mustang "C" scoop but in reverse. No slab sides here.

The rumoured retractable top for an upcoming Mustang makes it's appearance here instead leaving the Mustang traditionally witout a retractable top. If you want the retractable top buy the Tbird. Also, there is a body colored tonneau cover I would include reminiscent of the early 60's Tbird sports roadster which actually retains the back seats. So yes a four seater, but emphasis on a two seater look. The portholes stay in the past as the retractable hardtop is reminscent only of blind rear quarters with no windows.

The rear would somewhat mirror the front with either matching dual pod taillamps or modified to a classic full width theme.

My idea for the interior is something that looks like an updated version of the 1960-63 models, the theme carried by the dual cockpit instument panel and flowing console. No black rubbermaid blocks in here. Contrasting and complementary interior colors here... No rental car look. Black where it should be and none where it should not be. High quality appliques for dash and console trim. Also the return of the bird wing inside door panel theme that is integral with the hoizontal trim on the dash.

Powertrains... use your imagination. Whatever a Mustang can be the Tbird can be as well...

N-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-C-E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What would it compete against, if anything? What safety features do you expect? Warranty? Price?

Agree 100%

For those that think there is no business case for a Thunderbird & Mark X, I ask you to consider the millions of baby boomers who recently (post 9/11) are willing to try American again. Especially vehicles with top-notch powertrains and better warranties.

Many baby boomers are middle class+ & empty nesters already. Many already have regular cars and are ready for something more personal & luxurious. I say the Thunderbird & Mark X are perfect for this market.

Nearly half of the Corvettes, SLKs, SCs, Miatas & Z4s I see are being driven by older adults. Combined with us Gen Xers that happen to think the T-Birds are worthy, I think Ford would do well to bring back the Legend. Just this time don't make the same mistake as the 02-05' T-Bird i.e. too expensive and skimpy on the luxury & performance. Making them using the Mustang platform, with its higher beltline for ease of ingress, would be an economical starting point.

I don't believe Ford intends to leave the Thunderbird name dormant for too long, since it still carries a ton of equity, and consequently, a lot of value to the company that can be unlocked. The last Thunderbird was built in 2005, and Ford has explicitly stated they intend to bring the nameplate back from time to time. The last Thunderbird hiatus was for 5 years. That puts a re-appearance date for the 2010-2011 timeframe.

Incidentally, an all-new global RWD platform will debut around that time.

Incidentally, an all-new Ford Mustang will be debuting around then.

Incidentally, Ford will have returned to profitability around then.

Incidentally, Baby Boomers will have retired and will be looking for cruisers.

Throw on some Thunderbird styling details, and you're looking at the 2012 Ford Thunderbird:

jaguar-c-xf-producao-possivel-1.jpg

Smells like a perfect storm to me.

I don't believe Ford intends to leave the Thunderbird name dormant for too long, since it still carries a ton of equity, and consequently, a lot of value to the company that can be unlocked. The last Thunderbird was built in 2005, and Ford has explicitly stated they intend to bring the nameplate back from time to time. The last Thunderbird hiatus was for 5 years. That puts a re-appearance date for the 2010-2011 timeframe.

Incidentally, an all-new global RWD platform will debut around that time.

Incidentally, an all-new Ford Mustang will be debuting around then.

Incidentally, Ford will have returned to profitability around then.

Incidentally, Baby Boomers will have retired and will be looking for cruisers.

Throw on some Thunderbird styling details, and you're looking at the 2012 Ford Thunderbird:

jaguar-c-xf-producao-possivel-1.jpg

Smells like a perfect storm to me.

Lincoln_MKR_concept.jpg

Lincoln_MKR_rear.jpg

Seems like you are suggesting it will be a quad door coupe. I wouldn't use a Jaguar picture as example. Thunderbirds always had close ties with Lincoln models in the past as they still do now with the Fusion/MKZ, Edge/MKX, etc. It is more likely the Thunderbird will be an alternate version of the MKR with Tbird styling cues.. Not much different than the Tbird shared the body shell with the Mark IV in early 70's. I say if that is the Thunderbird we get bring it on. It's better than no Tbird at all.

You know Ford is only goingto bring back the Tbird if it has potential to sell this time. Quad Coupe is the most likely unless Ford can be convinced to keep it a convertible and coupe, take the risk and hope buyers will take it. It's most likely we will end up with the modern version of this:

1967-landau.jpg

All I know is there are a lot of former Tbird buyers who would love a new one and they are ready to buy it, but there isn't one now.

Edited by Watchdevil

If a T-bird is considered for a come back, it has to be a 4 seater. Otherwise it is a complete waste of time and resources.

The Thunderbird was most sucessful as a four seater and that is the incarnation that most people identify with and it is also the configuration that almost every model year was. 2-seaters usually have a limited audience because of no back seat or trunk room. The next Thunderbird needs to reach a more mainstream audience while being a high image car that people aspire to own. Due to the traditional body style configuration being a coupe and convertible it conflicts with the Mustang. If it was offered as a quad coupe it would offer something the Mustang does not. However there would be controversy about it being a four door. That would probably bother the purists and enthusiasts and not the general buyig public. It may not seem right though it was not offered as a convertible. I would personally buy a quad coupe if it was styled the right way to make it more attractive and personal than the average sedan. What is missing in Ford's lineup is a four seat RWD V8 powered luxury performance vehicle. If done right people may consider it over some luxury imports. If people can eat up Chargers and 300's then just think what a Thunderbird could do with it's more historical legendary nameplate.

IMHO opinion by making the Thunderbird a four door again is to doom it to all the mistakes of the past. Unfortunately cashing in on name recognition alone WAS the one consistant "heritage" of the T-Bird. The 4 door Charger is a hideous joke.

Make the Lincoln a quad coupe (with suicide doors), but make the Thunderbird a sport coupe/convertible.

post-19198-1186601565_thumb.jpg

IMHO opinion by making the Thunderbird a four door again is to doom it to all the mistakes of the past. Unfortunately cashing in on name recognition alone WAS the one consistant "heritage" of the T-Bird. The 4 door Charger is a hideous joke.

Make the Lincoln a quad coupe (with suicide doors), but make the Thunderbird a sport coupe/convertible.

Thats not too bad there. However, the vents on the quarter panels seem misplaced and it would look better with nothing there. I love that you borrowed the "sucker" grille from the 67-68 'Birds. Back in 1982 or so it was easy for Ford to convert the Mark VII concept into a Thunderbird with a few styling cues.

Here is another proposal...

iosisbird1.jpg

Based on the Iosis concept it would make a striking coupe, two doors or quad doors. Of course the Tbird emblem lights up in blue-white light to match the headlamps.

And the Thunderbird looks like a natural for a convertible bodystyle based on the Messenger concept.

messengerbird2.jpg

Thats not too bad there. However, the vents on the quarter panels seem misplaced and it would look better with nothing there. I love that you borrowed the "sucker" grille from the 67-68 'Birds. Back in 1982 or so it was easy for Ford to convert the Mark VII concept into a Thunderbird with a few styling cues.

iosisbird1.jpg

Based on the Iosis concept it would make a striking coupe, two doors or quad doors. Of course the Tbird emblem lights up in blue-white light to match the headlamps.

And the Thunderbird looks like a natural for a convertible bodystyle based on the Messenger concept.

messengerbird2.jpg

Wow!! That Iosis based T-Bird is Stunning.

iosisbird1.jpg

Wow Watchdevil! That Iosis T-Bird looks fantastic. I just set it as my new desktop background! It would be perfect as a folding hardtop as well. BTW, I checked out the Porsche 911 and it has tiny backseats, so it is a 2+2. Do you think an Iosis T-Bird with 2+2 seating, sized a little smaller than a Mustang, would work? I think 2+2 911 style would still 'feel' like a personal luxury automobile. And look great.