Explorer reliability

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I'll start collecting data on the Explorer once enough owners have signed up to help out. 105 are currently enrolled, but are spread across many model years. A few model years are about halfway to the minimum.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It's looking like all three years are going to be a few responses short of the minimum, and so won't make it into the May results.

I'd very much like to have them in the next update, in Augusts. Just need a few more participants.

Vehicle reliability research

I don't really think people care about this Explorer/Mountaineer reliability thing. If they want to know the Reliability of it, then they can look at Consumer Reports or Car and Driver.

I don't really think people care about this Explorer/Mountaineer reliability thing. If they want to know the Reliability of it, then they can look at Consumer Reports or Car and Driver.

Car & Driver? Sounds like you've never actually opened one.

As for CR, their results average over nine months older than mine. I'll be releasing results this week based on owner experiences through March of 2008. In August I'll cover through June of 2008.

Until next October, CR's results will be based on experiences through April of 2007.

So I guess it depends on whether "people" want to know how reliable a car was a year ago, when it was a year younger, or how reliable it's been recently.

Car & Driver? Sounds like you've never actually opened one.

As for CR, their results average over nine months older than mine. I'll be releasing results this week based on owner experiences through March of 2008. In August I'll cover through June of 2008.

Until next October, CR's results will be based on experiences through April of 2007.

So I guess it depends on whether "people" want to know how reliable a car was a year ago, when it was a year younger, or how reliable it's been recently.

Are you testing the V6 and V8 engines?

I break out results by engine when many repairs are powertrain related. With newer cars, this isn't common. The only example in the current results is the 2007 Camry.

I do expect it to be more common once the average odometer passes 100k miles, but most vehicles currently in the panel are newer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The August update, posted today, includes particial results for the 2003 and 2006. The sample sizes are small, so these results are asterisked. That said, they suggest a worse than average repair rate for these years.

I'd like to get rid of those asterisks and included all recent model years. Given Ford's recent improvement, the 2007 and 2008 likely require fewer repairs than the 2006.

For the full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

The August update, posted today, includes particial results for the 2003 and 2006. The sample sizes are small, so these results are asterisked. That said, they suggest a worse than average repair rate for these years.

I'd like to get rid of those asterisks and included all recent model years. Given Ford's recent improvement, the 2007 and 2008 likely require fewer repairs than the 2006.

For the full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

I can't get it to load. Maybe you can summarize. What's the point of the survey, anyway.

I can't get it to load. Maybe you can summarize. What's the point of the survey, anyway.

The server was down for an hour earlier--way past time to find a new host. Should be back now.

The point of the survey is to provide better, more up-to-date reliability information. Actual repair rates are posted, not just vague dots. And these results are updated promptly four times a year.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We have updated results for the Explorer to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 119, worse than average, but marginal sample size

2003: 60, better than average, small sample size

2002: 122, about average, small sample size

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Explorer reliability comparisons

• 4 months later...

We have updated results for the Explorer again, to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 71, about average

2003: 71, about average, small sample size

2002: 110, about average, small sample size

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 2 months later...

We have updated results for the Explorer to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 59

2005: 76

2003: 84

2002: 90

All are about average. Small sample sizes for the 2003 and 2005.

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop. We don't have these for the Explorer yet, though, because they require a larger number of responses.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I certainly appreciate it. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide all three stats for all model years.

We have updated results for the Explorer to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 59

2005: 76

2003: 84

2002: 90

All are about average. Small sample sizes for the 2003 and 2005.

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop. We don't have these for the Explorer yet, though, because they require a larger number of responses.

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I certainly appreciate it. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide all three stats for all model years.

I guess this is a good place to put this. As most of you know, I purchased a 2010 Explorer in Aug 2009. It has a been terrific so far. Well Saturday, 19 Dec 2009, I will be taking it in for it 5,000 mile check up. I know that the owners manual recommends every 7,500 miles, but with it being my daily commuter vehicle, I figure that 5,000 is a good number. Also, I did it on my previous truck and it got 160,000 on it and was still going strong.

It has been a fabulous truck. No major problems, will get up and go. The only one small issue is that the left rear door seems to be either holding a lot of water when it rains or it is being retained around the door edges. I hear the water drop when I open the door. So I will have the dealership take a look at it.

So the first 5,000 miles is almost in the book and looking forward to the next and more.

• 2 months later...

We have updated results for the Explorer to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 69 - about average

2005: 38 - better than average, but small sample size

2003: 67 - better than average, but small sample size

2002: 103 - about average

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide all three stats for all model years.

• 3 months later...

We have updated results for the Explorer and Mountaineer to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 50

2006: 47

2005: 33

2004: 51

2003: 113

2002: 84

The 2002, 2003, and 2007 are about average. The others are better than average.

Decent sample sizes for the 2002 and 2006, so these are the most precise results. Small and even very small sample sizes for the others.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide complete stats for all model years.

• 2 months later...

We have updated results for the Explorer and Mountaineer to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010.

Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 54, about average

2006: 63, about average

2005: 9, better than average

2004: 46, better than average

2003: 76, about average

2002: 105, about average

1998: 18, better than average

1997: 237, worse than average

Decent sample sizes for the 2002 and 2006, so these are the most precise results. Both are about average. Small and even very small sample sizes for the others.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide complete stats for all model years from 1995 on.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

• 2 months later...

Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also, updated reliability stats this month.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research