Bring back the Thunderbird

LincolnFan

• 1 month later...

In my humble opinion, Ford cannot be Ford without a Thunderbird. As I sit here thinking about the '55 Thunderbird I stand to inherit, the number of 77-79 Thunderbirds I still see in daily use, the '91 Thunderbird my mom put over 200,000 miles on, I can't help but wonder why there is no Thunderbird currently available.

Say it over and over..Thunderbird.

Absolutely no business case for it.

Domestic automakers are currently focusing their attention on bringing super-compact models here from Europe. That is the future of transportation... not these recreational 60's flashback models.

:closedeyes:

Perhaps if gas and insurance cost as much today as it did forty years ago, it wouldn't be a problem.

• 1 month later...
Absolutely no business case for it.

Domestic automakers are currently focusing their attention on bringing super-compact models here from Europe. That is the future of transportation... not these recreational 60's flashback models.

:closedeyes:

Perhaps if gas and insurance cost as much today as it did forty years ago, it wouldn't be a problem.

I disagree.

A Thunderbird based on the RWD S197 (Mustang) could have the more economical Duratec 3.5 as the base engine. I think a base model Thunderbird would be a fantastic 3rd car and it need not compete with the Vette to be seen as fun. Enthusiasts can opt for the V-8 in a GT edition, which would rival the base Corvette. A Thunderbird Cobra would have turbos and performance/ price rivaling the Corvette Z06. The base model would still be a fun roadster for touring/cruising with enough performance to put a smile on the casual driver's face. (Some of us want a fun cruiser/ daily driver without the need for mind-boggling performance.) The base model would also be priced in the low $30's well-equipped. I think for most people who want a semi-luxurious, fun, convertible cruiser-roadster without the bulk of the Mustang the base model would be quite enough. This strategy could also help Ford keep its CAFE numbers in check.

Edited by joihan777

Basing the Thunderbird on a Mustang chassis would hobble any effort to bring back the Cougar.....instead, Ford should look to the entire company and bring forth a chassis from somewhere within the Ford empire (Mondeo? Falcon? RX-8?) that shares nothing with any other Ford in the American Ford lineup.

What would a RX-8 chassis'ed car with a TwinForce V6 do? I'll bet that it would run circles around anything on the market.

Basing the Thunderbird on a Mustang chassis would hobble any effort to bring back the Cougar...

The whole problem of bringing back all the beloved marques is the heritage of how the Thunderbird, Mustang and Cougar originated...

The Thunderbird was the original effort to make a Ford sports car. It grew into a four seater and became a personal luxury car that became expensive.

In comes the Mustang in a smaller size based on a Falcon and affordable. The Thunderbird grew to become exclusive and large therefore serving two completely different market segments.

Then comes the Cougar. Essentially a more luxurious variation of the Mustang in the vein of a mini-Thunderbird. The market for domestic vehicles was so diverse it would support many variations of Ford products. The Cougar carved a mystique of it's own.

We all know how the rest of history went. The Cougar got bigger and more popular in the mid-sized personal luxury segment where cars of the 1970's sold the most. The Thunderbird stayed on a huge full-sized car platform while selling in exclusive numbers. Meanwhile the Mustang lost muscle and became smaller and more economical while serving as a sportier alternative to a Pinto...

The Thunderbird shifted to the Torino/Montego/Cougar intermediate platform, became smaller and a couple thousand dollar cheaper and set sales records for teh Thunderbird name. This was in a time when alternatively styled vehicles where selling in a hot market so the sister Cougar did well too...

1980-82 Thunderbird and Cougar sales tanked. It was not until 1983 that and true bold move was made to bring european inspired aero style to revive the Thunderbird and Cougar. It was done with two distinct personalities. A sloped rear window coupe for the Thunderbird and a formal upright greenhouse for the Cougar. Both sold well.

As the 1990's approached coupes fell out of favor for sedans that were better styled, better performing and passenger comfortable.... The end result was Tbirds and Cougars dropped in favor for cars like the Lincoln LS and a more focused niche Thunderbird in the form of a two seat roadster. Meanwhile the Cougar was unsucessfully given a small sporty FWD coupe image that confused buyers...

Meanwhile the Mustang enjoyed a resurgence as a high performance small sporty car... However, the Mustang occupies the same segment with similar buyers as the Thunderbird did with the convertible model, just a a much cheaper price making the Thunderbird roadster pointless.

This leaves it tough to determine what type of Thunderbird should be resurrected and the obvious redundance if a Cougar is brought back. Obviously both marques have their own style and mystique. But is it enough to bring back in profitable numbers?

I do believe that the Mustang could benefit from a more personal high content luxury variation. Does that mean there should be a Lincoln version over a Thunderbird and Cougar?

It's all confusing... But one thing is unforgivable. You don't take a 50+ year marque which is an American legend and icon and kill it... It makes it look like a failure when in fact the failure is in managing the marque and having a relavent plan in place to preserve it...

People around here are grabbing up all the late model four seat Thunderbirds they can find because they love them and there is no newer alternative that is just right for them...

Like someone said, you can compromise and buy a Mustang which is too small, a Charger which is a Chrysler product with four doors (and not a Thunderbird), a Monte Carlo which is FWD (and not a Thunderbird), or if you have enough money you can get you a used late model Tbird roadster which is limited by two seats and take it or leave it retro styling.

OK, I'm going to confess something to you all, so please don't laugh. Ya'll want to know why I wish Ford brought back the Thunderbird? It's rather simple. I have a coupla toddlers. We watch Disney's Cars movie about 3 times a week, especially in the minivan. Everytime I see Lightnin' running around old Route 66 in the beautiful countryside or cruising around town I get to thinking how much I'd love to have a roadster that was thoroughly modern but had the cuteness & charm of the original one. Something just for me & my honey. But something I could also commute in with style and a fair bit of performance!

There, now you know why I like the idea of the Return Of The Thunderbird {add thunder & lightning here}. I rather liked the look of the last iteration of the Thunderbird. I felt it was more 'pure' and true to the original icon. What was wrong with it was the price, lack of pop-up rollover safety bar and the design was just a wee bit too.... unrefined?

I'm a kid from the 70's, so I don't think I've ever seen the original T-Birds, but darnit that movie just makes me ache for one. Although some say the character was styled closer to an early Corvette, I ain't getting in no Corvette (hate the interiors) & not luxurious enough. :shades:

Edited by joihan777

Basing the Thunderbird on a Mustang chassis would hobble any effort to bring back the Cougar.....instead, Ford should look to the entire company and bring forth a chassis from somewhere within the Ford empire (Mondeo? Falcon? RX-8?) that shares nothing with any other Ford in the American Ford lineup.

What would a RX-8 chassis'ed car with a TwinForce V6 do? I'll bet that it would run circles around anything on the market.

I meant the Thunderbird should be based on a shortened S197 platform. I think the Thunderbird should stay as a 2 seater roadster rather than a 2+2 coupe. I considered this to be a good way of producing a fabulous vehicle that shares a lot with the current Mustang in order to keep costs down.

An RX-8 chassis'd vehicle would be an interesting proposal!

A Cougar would still be on a regular Mustang platform eh? Sorry I'm not old enough to know much about the Cougars.

The next Thunderbird's design should be as simple as could be. Take the next Mustang's chassis, splice an extra foot in the middle behind the rear door, and give it different front and rear clips, re-trim the interior, 3.5L V6, 4.6L V8, and you're done.

Or, splice 6 inches out of it, and make it a 2-seater, but also just change the front and rear clips.

I'd buy either in a second, without even second thought.

I like the shortened Mustang chassis idea (although using the RX-8 chassis sounds mighty interesting also)

Here's a pic of an original Thunderbird:

ford-thunderbird-1955a.jpg

drv_sd.jpg

- - - - -

IMO, the 2002 Retro-Bird had the right direction for future 'Birds.

Can you see these just as cute with maybe a dash more aggressive looks

using the S197 architecture? THAT would make for a pretty machine! :shades:

2002-Ford-Thunderbird-Neiman-Marcus-1280x960.jpg

2002-Ford-Thunderbird-blue-top-off.jpg

I agree. I had an 88 'bird that I adored. It was my first brand new car and I drove it until my mechanic said "And you are getting a new car soon".... That was in 2001. The car lasted at least another two or three years and I lost track of it.

I had a digital spedometer... too cool. My dad's Town Car didn't have that. A great speaker system. It was a great car.

I have a Grand Prix now... mainly because Ford doesn't have a midsized two door (but those are harder to get). The one thing I love on the Grand Prix is the Head's Up display.... I don't care what I have next time, as long as it has that. I love that. Never have to look down at gauges....

Ford please build the Thunderbird again, but the larger version... like they made at Lorain.

I wonder if Ford had given the '02 thru '05 Thunderbirds a better engine, if they'd still be making them today. I also think Ford could have done a better job with the interior. I remember going to an auto show and comparing the interiors of the T-bird and the new ('05) Mustang. It sure seemed that the Mustangs interior had a lot more quality in it.

i have said it before, and i will say it again, the Corvette, both base and ZO6, need competition, the viper does not cut it, cause i see about one viper a month at the most, i see so many corvettes that i want to shoot myself, have the tbird compete with the base corvette, then make a cougar or torino battle with the ZO6, but i would like to see a tbird battling the ZO6(or the new ZO7) and be competitive with pricing, ford showed that it was better when they dished the Ford GT at the ZO6, but it was a good amount more than the ZO6 and was very limited, i would like a lot of styling from the XK, GT, and DBS, you would have one sick ass looking tbird that everybody will ask "is that a ford?"

oh and im also sick of corvette fans comparing their car to the mustang, and vis versa

PLEASE GIVE ME A CORVETTE KILLER BY THE TIME I REACH THE AGE OF BEING ABLE TO AFFORD ONE!!!!!

i do not care what you name it!!!

but Thunderbird fits it best

Thunderbird should come back as a large coupe in my opinion. The Mustang is too small for my tastes and at 6'2" I could not even get into the retro bird. I would prefer 2 doors but would settle for 4 if the second set were suicide and consealed in appearance. Maybe the answer to the Mustang, Thunderbird, Cougar, Mark problem would be to go ahead and let the Thunderbird be a high end shortened 2 seat Mustang and the Cougar be a near luxury stretched Mustang and the Mark be the 4 door high end coupe like the MKR. It may not please everyone, but it would alow all 4 nameplates to co-exist off one platform with 4 different personalities and market segments.

• 2 weeks later...
i have said it before, and i will say it again, the Corvette, both base and ZO6, need competition, the viper does not cut it, cause i see about one viper a month at the most, i see so many corvettes that i want to shoot myself, have the tbird compete with the base corvette, then make a cougar or torino battle with the ZO6, but i would like to see a tbird battling the ZO6(or the new ZO7) and be competitive with pricing, ford showed that it was better when they dished the Ford GT at the ZO6, but it was a good amount more than the ZO6 and was very limited, i would like a lot of styling from the XK, GT, and DBS, you would have one sick ass looking tbird that everybody will ask "is that a ford?"

oh and im also sick of corvette fans comparing their car to the mustang, and vis versa

PLEASE GIVE ME A CORVETTE KILLER BY THE TIME I REACH THE AGE OF BEING ABLE TO AFFORD ONE!!!!!

i do not care what you name it!!!

but Thunderbird fits it best

Saw an article on C&D about a Virginia Racetrack Lightning Lap that showed how great cars perform under "realistic" conditions as opposed to just looking at numbers or judging a car by a one-dimensional measurement. The vettes did quite well, the Mustang did fair but it was much heavier than the vettes so of course it had some limitations.

Although I would like a base model or premium (luxury) model Thunderbird as a 2-seat roadster, a Thunderbird GT or Thunderbird 'Lightning' should be able to give those vettes some heck!

Just saying Ford, give us something to aspire to! I plan to 'move-up' the economic scale in about 2 years Ford, please give something to spend my money on!!!!!