2007 Exp Brake dust

jdfletchx7

I currently own a 2003 EB, the front wheels are completely black from the brake dust. I have to turn the vehicle in next month b/c the lease is expiring. I'm looking to lease a 2007 EB EL and was wondering if the new Exp have the same problem with the brake dust.

I have leased an '03, '05 and now an '07. I've got 5000 miles on mine and haven't had to clean the wheels yet. They have definitely improved the pads over the '03s and '05s.

I have leased an '03, '05 and now an '07. I've got 5000 miles on mine and haven't had to clean the wheels yet. They have definitely improved the pads over the '03s and '05s.

Thanks great news! I hope to get in 07 in late Feb, but the lots around where i live only have one or two to chose from.

It seems like I remember Ford revising the front brakes on the 2004 model year due to the complaints from the 2003 model year. If it were to still be a problem now, you could get ceramic brake pads for probably $40-$50, and they make significantly less dust than the typical carbon-metallic brake pads, and have every bit of the stopping power if not more. I've had the ceramics on my 04 Explorer for about 6 months, and they probably make about 1/4 to 1/2 the dust the factory pads made, which was never nearly as bad as the 03 Expeditions were to start with.

I currently own a 2003 EB, the front wheels are completely black from the brake dust. I have to turn the vehicle in next month b/c the lease is expiring. I'm looking to lease a 2007 EB EL and was wondering if the new Exp have the same problem with the brake dust.

I had the 03 and now have the 07 and the brake dust seems the same to me, but I wash my cars almost weekly. I will say that I saw my in laws 07 that they didnt wash since they bought it 3 months ago and the wheels were black. I think as long as you wash your car once a month you shouldnt have issues. I did see they sell a brake dust shield but not sure how they are and if they casue any safety issues.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the 03 and now have the 07 and the brake dust seems the same to me, but I wash my cars almost weekly. I will say that I saw my in laws 07 that they didnt wash since they bought it 3 months ago and the wheels were black. I think as long as you wash your car once a month you shouldnt have issues. I did see they sell a brake dust shield but not sure how they are and if they casue any safety issues.

Brake pads have been changed since 03 when Ford discovered through JD Powers, that a small percentage of the Expedition owners were not completely satisfied with the wheel appearance, due to brake dust. While brake dust is a common appearance issue on all manufacturers, Ford in a effort to satisfy their loyal customer base, made a proactive change in the Expedition brake pad. As always, total satisfaction is the Goal at Ford, we thank all of our customers for that loyal support. JD Power surveys are an important tool for Ford and their customers so let your voice be heard.

Brake pads have been changed since 03 when Ford discovered through JD Powers, that a small percentage of the Expedition owners were not completely satisfied with the wheel appearance, due to brake dust. While brake dust is a common appearance issue on all manufacturers, Ford in a effort to satisfy their loyal customer base, made a proactive change in the Expedition brake pad. As always, total satisfaction is the Goal at Ford, we thank all of our customers for that loyal support. JD Power surveys are an important tool for Ford and their customers so let your voice be heard.

Ahhhhh so something good does come out of JD Powers!!! My husband hates them!! not really but since life revolves around surverys and his pay is based on surverys it does get to you. But I do think its good that we can voice our opinions.

The brake dust does seem a lot better on the 07 from the 03... I went over a month without washing and the brake dust was nasty but not as bad as the 03 would have been. I'm glad ford really is stepping up to the plate and it really shows in the new products.

• 1 month later...

I have owned 4 Expeditions and everyone of them has had the brake dust problem. My current EB 2004 is just as bad. I have 90,000 mile on it and it looks almost new. The dealer just offered me $10,000 on it for a trade in on a new 2007 EB with a sticker of $43,000. I owe more than that. They said the miles are killing me. I will just keep it and they can keep their cars on the lots. I figured it was worth at least $18-20K.

Mark

Cape Coral, Florida

Edited by nipNTuck

I have owned a 1997--dust not bad, 1999 dust not bad, 2000 dust still not too bad, 2004 dust was awful, and now a 2007 dust not bad.

I got 19 K for my trade but the truck had 49K miles and not even the slightest ding. That was last Aug when I put the order in.

Bob

• 7 years later...